Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Archived questions and answers from Dr Scoliosis > List of questions and answers from Dr Scoliosis

Old 22-12-2013, 11:22 AM

Default harrington rods

I have been reading that after a certain period of time the stainless steel which is what the harrington rods are made from begin corroding. I have had mine in for 48 years having them inserted in 1965, so am very concerned. I have been unwell with pain since 1997 and would really appreciate any information you could help me with. I realise that there is a lot of nonsense on the internet so this is the reason I am asking yourself as a professional.

Many thanks
Lorraine.
Old 30-12-2013, 06:25 PM

Default Re: harrington rods

Dear Lorraine,

Thank you for your question. Stainless steel has been used for over 100 years in surgery. It is a metal very well tolerated in humans. It does not tend to corrode in the body and does not usually cause any illness. Allergic reactions are very rare - some people have an allergy to the nickel found in stainless steel. This is seen as a skin rash under jewellery made from this metal. There have been no definitive cases of toxicity due to this allergy from surgical implants.

Your pain is more likely due to arthritic changes within the spine. A low grade infection is also a possibility, but it would be very unusual to have symptoms for so long.

I would recommend that you be reviewed by your GP and get an x-ray, and perhaps blood tests. A referral to a spinal surgeon would be useful depending on the findings of those tests.

Dr Scoliosis
Old 02-01-2014, 02:29 PM

Default Re: harrington rods

Many thanks Dr. Scoliosis, I will follow up as suggested.