Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Brace management

Old 05-06-2013, 11:17 AM

Default New Scoliosis support group for girls in Melbourne

Curvy Girls of Melbourne scoliosis kids support group is starting up!

Curvy Girls groups are peer led support groups empowering pre-teen and teen girls to become leaders, make healthy lifestyle choices and improve self-esteem by diminishing the emotional impact of scoliosis. The Curvy Girls groups aim to bring girls together to raise awareness and support one another through meetings, chat and fun. We focus on letting girls know they are not alone in their journey through scoliosis, whatever that journey may be, be it observation, bracing or surgery.

My daughter Louise is 11 and was diagnosed last year and has recently got her first brace. After a lot of trawling through the internet and discussions with our medical team, we found a lack of non medical support for Louise to deal with the issues important to her after diagnosis. We then found the Curvy Girls website, Louise joined up to the forum and quickly discovered that she is one of many girls in similar situations and it has changed her outlook and stress levels. It is not just the brace making her stand tall now! Curvy Girls is spreading worldwide and Louise spotted there is a group in Perth WA but not Melbourne. So she has volunteered to start up a Melbourne group.

Can I encourage everyone to have a look at www.curvygirlsscoliosis.com it is very much by the girls for the girls. There is also a parents forum on facebook which is fantastic. We parents can feel just as isolated too and there is nothing worse than dealing with medical issues for our kids - a scary place to be.

If there is anyone in the Melbourne/Victoria area who would be interested in getting together with other girls in the same situation (and parents too!) please find Louise on the website under leaders.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:16 PM

Default Re: New Scoliosis support group for girls in Melbourne

Great news!
I have been very interested in Curvy Girls for a while now and think it's a brilliant cause, they are doing wonderful things for Scoliosis awareness and fundraising. They have even established a National Scoliosis Awareness month in June in the US.
The only reason I didn't start a group myself in Melbourne is I'm into my 20s now, but I would love to meet up at any time to discuss my experiences with Scoliosis.

Curvy Girls USA is a great example to follow in their footsteps.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:36 AM

Thanks - will keep posting updates on this forum so that when we get some girls interested, we can arrange a meeting. Would be great to have some support & mentoring from older Curvy Girls too!
Old 12-06-2013, 10:15 AM

Hi there, I have an 11 year old girl who was diagnosed back in 2010 age 7.5 and has had 2.5 years in a Boston Brace. Her curve did improve and last November we were given a trial of going out of the brace, Sadly at her 4 mth review her curve had regressed and if next month this regression has continued she will be going back into the Boston until she stops growing (still a few more years sadly) I think she would love to meet other girls and will show her the site when she gets home from school camp..
Old 21-01-2014, 05:34 PM

I now you daughter though curvy girls
Old 24-01-2014, 12:50 PM

Hey guys this is a great idea and i have been wanting to do something like this for the last 2 years but for both male and female for victoria, any ideas or suggestions?

I am Also making my own website for scoliosis where we can all share stories and chat together?

Thanks Nick!
Old 28-04-2014, 01:19 PM

Totally agree that it is a great idea, boys are also in need of a group like this and would really love to hear if anyone can shed some light on where the boys can get some help too, it's such a difficult age adolescence for both genders to be going through, let alone dealing with scoliosis and not having an emotional connection with another person who is feeling exactly the same as you are.