Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Archived questions and answers from Dr Scoliosis > List of questions and answers from Dr Scoliosis

Old 15-12-2011, 12:04 PM

Default Genetics

Hi dr,
I have known for a few years now that i have severe scoliosis which requires surgery. My son has cystic fibrosis and I recently did a google search for scoliosis and cystic fibrosis and found a report which shows evidence of a genetic link between the two. I am not educated in medical jargon and found myself lost, not understanding the report. I am wondering if you have any knowledge of the genetic link?
In scope, it seems to me that cystic fibrosis research has come such a long way compared with scoliosis research. So much more is known about the genetics.
At my son's CF Annual Review I noticed they checked for scoliosis, which led my thoughts back to this 'link' i know nothing about. I was worried if my son developed scoliosis, and needed a brace or surgery what effect this would have on his lung function. Have you heard of any person who suffers from both? It's an interesting topic for me. I will ask his CF team on his next check up what they know about it and post it here if it's worthwhile.
Look forward to your insight. Thanks a million.
Old 16-12-2011, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Genetics

Thank you for your enquiry. There is some evidence in the literature which suggests there may be a link between cystic fibrosis and scoliosis but the matter is far from settled. With the pulmonary complications of cystic fibrosis persons with this disorder tend to develop a forward stoop known as a kyphosis depending upon the severity of the cystic fibrosis and the pulmonary complications.

In your case, if you have an idiopathic curvature then there is a reasonable genetic basis that if your son develops a scoliosis it is linked to the genetic defect. It has been established that when a mother has a definite idiopathic curve then the chances of a daughter having a curvature are approximately 27 per cent. As far as the Dr Scoliosis on duty is aware there are no clear data for the chances of a son of a mother with scoliosis developing a curvature.

The fact that your medical team checked your son for scoliosis is encouraging. A simple examination of all children to exclude scoliosis is a worthwhile measure.

A genetic background of idiopathic scoliosis is extremely complicated and far from unravelled.

I trust these comments are helpful to you.

Dr Scoliosis