Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 18-05-2013, 07:41 PM

Default 1 1/2 weeks post op and doing great

Hi all,

I had my posterior spinal fusion to fix a 70 degree curve last Thursday (9th of May) and I am now out of hospital and doing great. My mum and I are staying in a hotel in Melbourne since we live in Alice Springs, we head back home on the 25th of May so I am slowly building up my time sitting up so that I can cope with the 3 hour flight home. My pain medication is all sorted and we are slowly figuring out which chairs I can sit in for prolonged periods. If any teenagers or parents with children (I am 15) have any questions regarding the surgery I am happy to answer them either on the thread or through a private message. Thank you to everyone who I have communicated with on the forum, you all helped me prepare for the surgery and now that I'm on the mend if anyone has any other advice I will gladly take it.

Thanks again and all the best to others preparing for surgery
Georgia
Old 19-05-2013, 09:13 AM

Default Re: 1 1/2 weeks post op and doing great

Hi Georgia

Very happy to hear all is well after your surgery...actually you are sounding amazingly together! Having another week to recover is going to make heaps of difference to the flight, so a very good move.

Don't forget to take a pillow and a schnuggly rug

Keep us up to date with your recovery.

Christine x
Old 19-05-2013, 12:09 PM

Great news Georgia!
Good luck for the trip hope, my son got through the long trip from melb to Perth dreaming of lying in his own bed. Did a lot of walking around in the plane and had well timed doses of pain meds. It wasn't easy but it was tolerable. You will feel much better at home.
So good to hear that you are doing ok! Liz xx
Old 22-05-2013, 11:10 PM

Hi Georgia,

Congrats!!! You have done it! I would suggest a neck pillow. They are at the newsagents at airports. Soft and fluffy. The airline seats are not that comfy. Our daughter wont travel without hers. Weve had 5 surgeries in Brisbane from Newcastle. 6th in July. She is a seasoned traveller at 12 LOL! All the best for the recovery.
Trace x
Old 23-05-2013, 06:44 AM

Good sugestion, I dont travel without mine. I use it behind me and I sit on it sometimes to relieve the tail bone sometimes. Its funny cant explain it but some seats are really uncomfortable due to my new shaped spine but the trusty old pillows fixes all that Rosie
Old 28-05-2013, 01:54 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm back home and recovering well. The flight home wasn't as bad as I had expected, it was a little uncomfortable but my pillow definitely helped. We have started decreasing my medication and my pain is remaining under control. Everyday I am able to do more for myself. I am able to shower on my own now, as long as I'm not washing my hair and I am able to get around the house pretty easily too.

I was also just wondering if post-op anyone has experienced slight cracking of their back. I used to be able to crack mine on command to relieve the pressure and never really worried about it. I am finding now though that when I log roll to stand up after lying down I crack a little in my upper back, kind of between my shoulder blades. I am just a little concerned if that's normal or not since people tend to say that they are unable to crack their backs after their spinal fusion. Maybe I am worrying a bit too much but I just thought I should see in anyone else has experienced the same thing.

Thanks again for all of the support and I will keep you all posted with my recovery

Georgia
Old 29-05-2013, 10:06 PM

Hey Georgia, Im so happy to hear your home! Your own bed and comforts will make you heal quicker. Thats funny with the cracks. Yes we had them. Emilys brother wanted to take her to school for show & tell! Her back squeeked for 2 days! We could stand behind her and hear it! Yikes!!! It went away. There will be many weird things. Its your spine getting back into allignment & muscles getting back to normal. Your amazing! You will get better and stronger everyday.

Keep Smiling
Trace
Old 31-05-2013, 10:47 PM

Smile Re: 1 1/2 weeks post op and doing great

Hi Georgia
My daughter is 13 and still 18 mths away from surgery.
It is reassuring to read about your journey.
Keep posting, and I hope your recovery continues to be positive.
Suz xx
Old 01-06-2013, 09:11 PM

Hi Georgia,
Thanks for sharing your experience. My 14 year old son has very rapidly developed a 57 deg curve and we're just trying to get our head around the fact he will be having surgery soon. Reading all the success stories on this forum does something to calm my nerves.
How are you feeling now, post-surgery? Please keep sharing your progress and all the best for a quick recovery
Old 09-06-2013, 01:15 PM

Hi MAB, I'm feeling really good now. I've been off all of my pain medication for a week now, and I think I've only needed to have panadol twice. I should hopefully be going back to school for a few lessons a day on Tuesday. If you have any other questions feel free to private message me 😊