Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Brace management

Old 16-04-2010, 03:29 PM

Default Which Brace to use

Hi all

I have a 13 year old daughter who was diagnosed about 4 months ago. Her curve is 24 Degrees lumbar and 20 upper thorac. We were told she would need a brace and decided on the spinecor. We would love to connect with others who are using this brace as we are feeling quite alone.

Also as a parent I am hoping I have made the right decision for her. We live in Sydney and at the moment she feels like a freak as we do not know anyone else with scoliosis. I would love to change that for her. She is a keen dancer - ballet.

thanks Sam
Old 16-04-2010, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Which Brace to use

Hi, my name is Melinda and my daughter Kaitlin was diagnosed at about the same age (think she was 12). She wore the TLSO brace for about a year and then had surgery as it helped a little but not to the extent we had hoped. I hope some people come online here to help you re the Spinecor brace. Kaitlin is now 15 and it was a relatively new thing then and we could not seem to get much info on it but i believe its a lot kinder to them with heat and activities than the other type of brace. Its hard for them but please rest assured you are not alone. Melinda xx
Old 18-04-2010, 12:51 PM

Hi Melinda
Sorry to hear that the surgery did not do what you expected for Kaitlin. How is she now. does she still use a brace? This is so hard as a parent as there is alot of conflicting information out there. At the moment Rach is having alot of back pain at the lumbar hump sight. Is this common with the use of a brace? She has also just finished an intensive ballet workshop so maybe she overdid things there. I wish a manuel came with the diagnosis.
Thanks for your repy its good to know we are not alone. Sam
Old 20-04-2010, 08:02 AM

Hi Sam,

Sorry i probably wasnt clear enough - the surgery was a great success and all is well now. The brace Kaitlin wore for about a year (pre surgery) I believe slowed down the progression but did not stop things (hence the surgery). I must say that Kaitlin did not ever really have back pain but perhaps it was the workshop as you say. Also i am assuming the muscles have some readjusting to do with the use of the brace.
take care, Melinda
Old 20-04-2010, 12:05 PM

Hi Melinda

Sorry I did misunderstand but am glad all is well. We are going to see the chiropractor this afternoon in the hope that her pain can be alievated.

Sam
Old 26-08-2011, 03:52 PM

I have a Spinecor brace too!
It is a little bit cumbersome to put on, but the physio said that after a while, kids can do it in the dark.
Old 26-11-2011, 06:08 PM

Dear All,

Our 13 year old son has been diagnosed with Scoliosis with a 28 degree thoracic, we are in Sydney and are wondering like Sam, if the Spinecor would be the choice to go for to make this as unintrusive in his life - would appreciate any feedback on the efficacy of this as the option for bracing.

It has been such a great help to read thru all your comments.

Thanks

Alan
Old 26-11-2011, 09:17 PM

Hi Alan,
Sorry your son has to go through this too. It must be such a big thing for them to cope with being braced, psychologically and physically. I am no help to you with the brace as our son wasn't braced due to his curve being too low and severe. He had surgery at age 15. Are you going to a private doctor or through a scoliosis clinic? We started off through a clinic and then went private (with the same doctors) due to surgery waiting times.
I can't recommend the clinic and doctors highly enough (can't give you details here but if you wish to private message I can pass them on) and can only say that they will guide you well.
Annette
Old 30-11-2011, 06:30 PM

Hi Annette

Thank you so much for your response - I hope your son's surgery has gone well and achieved the desired results - it is tough no doubt - our son is unsure but trying to be brave about it - we went thru a clinic (as well as private) he has been diagnosed with Kypho-Scoliosis, management of which is apparently a bit - surgery may be an option, but we have had to go with the Gomez brace, which is supposed to be a more advance version of the boston brace.

It would be great if you could please send me the clinic and doctors details through email or private message as we would like a second opinion.

Thank you

Alan
Old 12-12-2011, 06:57 PM

I had the Boston brace, which I found was easier to maintain than the other braces. I wish and your daughter the best of luck