Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 21-02-2014, 08:49 PM

Default Surgery in a week

My daughter is having Anterior and Posterior surgery in a week and i am interested to hear from others that have had these procedures and the recovery period, she has just turned 12. Feeling anxious!
Old 22-02-2014, 12:26 PM

Default Re: Surgery in a week

Hi Lulu,
It was a year ago I was in your position, and 'anxious' is probably an understatement!
My son had a posterior fusion from t4-l1, so don't really have much knowledge of the anterior procedure. If you have specific questions feel free to private message me and we can chat. Good to find someone who was at same hospital. Which state are you in?
I am in perth but had surgery in Melbourne.
Try to relax and get out and do some nice things with your daughter this week. Try and get her doing some squats! She will be using thigh muscles big time after surgery.
Once you get to hospital you will actually relax when in the hands of the professionals, they all know what they are doing and these procedures are very routine for them, albeit technically difficult. Nurses will be amazing postop too and you just need to be there for emotional support and handholding. Hope you are getting a mattress or bed in her room? Nights are lonelier and she will need you more.
You will be like me in a year, looking at your child fit healthy and strong and thankful that the surgery was done which changed the course of their life! She will thank you too.
Best wishes, Liz
Old 25-02-2014, 01:17 PM

Thanks for the tips Liz we will start on the squats and yes we have planned some fun things to do on the weekend. Planning on staying every night except the first 2 after each surgery as she will be in ICU. So basically we are counting down the days now, looking forward to being a year down the track and feeling calm!
Old 25-02-2014, 04:13 PM

My daughter had a posterior T4-L1 fusion almost nine months ago. She had just turned 13 a couple of weeks before.
I agree with Liz re squats. My daughter had terrible knee pain after surgery from bending at the knees all the time. Something we never considered pre-surgery. My daughter was only in ICU for one night, so perhaps be prepared to be there sooner than that.
Take lots of books into the hospital if you're in to reading. I found I spent a lot of time sitting by her bed while she slept for the first few days with little to do but read. On reflection, it was actually very nice!
Nail polish remover is good to get the glue out of their hair from where they glue the electrodes to do the spinal cord monitoring. Needs to be the acetate one. Some makeup remover pads are also handy for that. The glue is not easy to get out but good to have it gone for when they wash their hair for the first time.
My daughter recovered extremely quickly but her surgeon said her rapid recovery was not the norm and probably due to her being extremely fit prior to surgery (she's a national level swimmer).
Almost nine months down the track, she's back to full swimming training, recently qualified for the national championships and says she feels 100% normal. It's lovely to be past it all. You will be there in the blink of an eye! Good luck for surgery.
Old 26-02-2014, 03:04 PM

More great tips - Thanks Shan. My daughter is also very fit plays rep soccer so its very encouraging to hear that your daughter is back swimming and doing so well!
My daughter has just turned 12 her first surgery Anterior T12-L3 second Surgery T5-L3.
So good to hear all the positive outcomes we have surgery in 1 week from today.
Good Luck with the National Championships!
Old 26-02-2014, 07:10 PM

Hi my daughter had surgery 20 months ago and is also a swimmer. Not sure how physically developed your dAughter is but one thing that happened to us and the nurses said happens to all girls just after surgery, is that my daughter got her period a week early . Apparently it always happens ..so if your daughter menstruating just be prepared . I agree with the other post that she may only have one night in ICU. Also, although drugged! my daughter was aware that I was with her in ICU and I stayed the night with her because I felt happier being there and she thanked me for it later.
Our hospital prepared me for nursing her at home by letting me do most of the turning, pillow arranging etc after day 3. I was very thankful for that as it would otherwise be quite daunting to take the. Home without practice in managing turning and propping. My daughter also had a great recovery . great news about national qualifying Shan....you just be so proud of your gutsy girl.