Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 15-08-2013, 05:44 PM

Default Surgery is fast approaching

Hi all,
After looming over us for the past couple of months, it's almost time. My sons surgery is on Monday. He had his pre-op visit to the hospital today. It amazes me how well he is handling the whole thing, while myself and husband are in a state of developing hysteria - laughing one minute and in a state of panic the next! The nurse tells us we will most likely be 'basket cases' by the end of Monday! Any words of advice to help us get through the first 24 hours?
MAB
Old 15-08-2013, 11:28 PM

Default Re: Surgery is fast approaching

Dear MAB,
Once you are in the hospital in the morning, you will just be riding the wave. The professionals take over and you will trust them. My son continued to be brave and somehow we managed to get through it. We had flights and hotels to keep us busy the day before. I seem to remember that not much sleep happened for me the night before and the days to follow. So my best advice would be to try to slow down now, cook good food, maybe drink good wine and you will all be strong for each other when it is necessary!
You will be in all our thoughts I'm sure! It's a very hard time but the rewards are life changing.
Liz xx
Old 16-08-2013, 09:26 PM

Thanks Liz. Your advice to slow down and drink good wine was well received! The anaesthetist unexpectedly called me at work today to introduce himself and offer advice. We certainly feel we are in great hands. I'll let you know how we go x
Old 21-08-2013, 06:54 PM

Dear MAB our daughter is suddenly 7 weeks post-op, and all that stress is just rolling away. You are probably in that post op haze right now, with lots of care needed, and too little sleep. However, at 3 weeks, we suddenly turned a corner, and every day since then moves the surgery to the dim dark past. I hope you are all doing well, not too stressed. all the very best.