Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 27-10-2012, 01:12 PM

Smile Home from surgery...a happy ending!

Hi everyone,
Just wanted to share our happy story with you all, and give some hope to those of you who are preparing to have their child go down the path of scoliosis surgery...
My daughter had her surgery on October 16th and I had many sleepless nights leading up to that date, worrying that my husband and I had made the right decision for her. On the day of surgery, my daughter was just terrified as she was wheeled into the theatre and this was definitely the hardest, most heartbreaking part for me as I tried so hard to be brave for her.
4.5 hours later and our little girl was back in the ICU...thank God it was all over!!! The surgeon was very pleased with the results and our daughter managed wonderfully in the hospital for the next 7 days...her pain was managed so well and all the staff were just fantastic.
By day 5 she was walking around the ward and even walked down the stairs to the cafe!
Even the car ride home wasn't the ordeal I had imagined it would be. We padded my daughter up with pillows and she didn't find the bumps or corners to be a problem at all...amazing!!
She is now happily recovering at home, watching movies and playing nintendo, and I'm astounded at how mobile she is...she is able to stand up, sit and lie down with very little support and has not experienced any dizziness or nausea. Her main problem is boredom as she is eager to do more than I want her to do!
I know that we are all different and of course, with every surgery there will be different outcomes. Life always has its challenges and we all deal with them differently, but my hope is that my story of our little girl might give some positive encouragement to someone else who may be ready to go through surgery.
Thanks to those of you who sent special messages of support to us...we are so grateful to you!
Warm wishes to you all,
Helen
Old 28-10-2012, 12:20 PM

Default Re: Home from surgery...a happy ending!

Hi Helen.
Had tears in my eyes as I read your post. So happy your daughter is doing so well and gave me hope things will be ok for my daughter in the not so distant future....Thanks