Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 29-08-2011, 10:48 AM

Default Autologus Blood Donation

Hi all,

I was wondering what others experiences are with donating blood prior to surgery. We are planning for Rach's surgery on 19th October and have been given the option for her to donate her own blood a couple of weeks before her op.
We were initially keen to have this option but are now a bit unsure. We are in SA and have been told the risk here associated with blood transfusions is very low. We are worried about the impact on her system giving 2 units of blood in the 2 weeks before having major surgery.
They use a cell saver system to recycle any blood she loses during the op so she may not even need to have a transfusion. Its really just a precaution.
I would be keen to hear about how others have handled this and whether they have donated blood or not.
Sonia x
Old 30-08-2011, 10:55 PM

Default Re: Autologus Blood Donation

Hi Sonia,
My daughter had the surgery just 6 weeks ago now.... wow time has gone quickly. Jas was under weight so the option to store blood was not an option. We were told it was unlikely she would need a transfusion as they recycle her own blood during the surgery... How very cool is that!!! Jas did however require a blood transfusion the following day and from what I could tell she was close to needing a second one but her body managed to get back on track. To be honest we havent noticed any issues with the donor blood but the idea of the option of her own blood would have been more comfortable (one less thing to worry about).
Are you able to have the blood taken any earlier? or is that the max time they will hold her blood before her surgery? I wish I knew the answer to your question but I do believe the human body recovers quite quickly after giving blood.
Good luck
Louise
Old 31-08-2011, 07:38 AM

Hi Sonia
That's a tricky one. We were advised we didn't need to as Jake was having anterior approach surgery, which is a lot less blood loss apparently.
Good luck.
Sue
Old 31-08-2011, 01:43 PM

Hi Sonia,
When Cate had her surgery in March we talked about donating her own blood but the surgeon didn't think it was necessary. Apparently she lost about a litre of blood during the surgery but they used the cell saver system to recycle her blood (I agree with Louise, isn't it amazing!). She finally got back about 250ml after all the processing. She was rather anemic afterwards and her haemoglobin levels are still in the low range, as she had another blood test last week. It is hard to know what to do, as suggested can you do it a bit earlier. Good luck with your decision.

Angela.
Old 31-08-2011, 11:43 PM

Hi Sonia,
I am also in Adelaide. My surgeon had me donate 3 units prior to surgery. I was able to donate 2 and had the third one cross=matched. During surgery, I lost one litre of blood,
but had 300ml returned via cell-saver. The units I donated were not required, therefore, over the next 48hours they returned them to me. I must admit, I felt less 'foggy' and felt as though it was a real 'pick-me-up'. I had to take iron tablets (1 before bed with OJ) the first week and then two before bed, the second week, however, my levels were not high enough to donate that third unit. (I almost passed out during the second unit). My levels
returned before surgery and we were able to go ahead with surgery. I think the week break helped. Best wishes