Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 26-08-2014, 09:39 PM

Default Surgery update

I wasn't sure whether to post this in surgery or another thread, but Miss 11 had her 3 month review today with the surgeon. Last results were 30, 40, 40 with surgeon suggesting we tentatively book in for surgery in December.

3 months on her curves are 32, 36, 38 with the surgeon saying she's still high risk (she's 12 next week and premenarche) but it's looking good and he doesn't want to see her for another 6 months. Crossing fingers on one hand, but also wanting the surgery done and dusted if she's borderline.

Best news is her 3 curves are all flexible. X-rays when lying down show spine as straight. He thinks we should get 100% correction.

Strangely the lump on her lower spine has grown but he thinks this might just be due to growth. She also has cafe au lait spots that have recently appeared on her back (one was always there) but he thinks neurofibromatosis is highly unlikely (she is red haired, extremely fair and no other signs - heart is great, no armpit/groin freckling, no eye changes, tall and small head etc).

I've heard of rib humps but our daughter's is on her lower spine where most of the rotation is. Has anyone else experienced growth of humps with no spinal changes?

Either way, good news, although surgery probably still in the future.
dy
Old 04-11-2014, 10:25 PM

Default Re: Surgery update

That is great to hear DeeElle! I am due to have surgery sometime soon and while I am a bit anxious, I know I am in good hands and I will be fine! Hopefully all goes well with her future appointments and that there is no need for surgery!