Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Archived questions and answers from Dr Scoliosis > List of questions and answers from Dr Scoliosis

Old 24-06-2015, 02:09 PM

Default Scoliosis in my 6 year old son

I am so new to this. My youngest son was diagnosed with scoliosis last year at the age of 5. He has had developmental issues since he was a baby. He has had speech issues and he has very low muscle tone and is behind in his gross and fine motor skills. Coming up to 12 months old he wasn't able to sit and wasn't crawling. He didn't walk unaided until the age of 2. He has a deletion in a chromosome that the Genetics team at Monash don't know a lot about.
Is it uncommon for kids this young to have scoliosis? At the moment he is complaining of a sore left upper thigh and limping slightly. We went for xrays today of his hips. My nurse at my gp has suggested to see the physio. Will physio help his scoliosis and low muscle tone?
Old 25-06-2015, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Scoliosis in my 6 year old son

Thank you for your question. Scoliosis in young children is not common. However, when there are problems such as developmental delay and genetic abnormalities, scoliosis can be more likely to occur.

Your son should be checked regularly with the Forward Bend Test (you can do this yourself), say every 6 months. There is probably no specific role for physiotherapy in your son's case. If he is encouraged to physical activity and play that should be enough. However, you should discuss his development with his paediatrician.

Hope this helps.

Dr S