Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Archived questions and answers from Dr Scoliosis > List of questions and answers from Dr Scoliosis

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-06-2013, 03:55 PM
bubblykayla bubblykayla is offline
Registered User
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1
Default Need Help

Hi i was diagnosed with scoliosis in july last year at the age of 21 after seeing many doctors who told me i was too young to have any spinal problems. i finally found one who listened and acted and he sent me to an orthopedic specialist that was miles away from me.He was very vague with me and told me he didnt want to do surgery cause i am so young and cause of the risks involved so then directed me to do physio and hydrotherapy but in the same breathe told me that it wouldnt do anything for me. i want to go and get a second opinion but i just cant afford it being on unemployment. Is there any advice you could give me about scoliosis and what i can do that will benefit me at all? as the only information i have gathered is online due to doctors not knowing a whole lot about the condition.

Thank you so much for your time
Old 05-06-2013, 11:12 AM
Dr Scoliosis Dr Scoliosis is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 187
Default Re: Need Help

Thank you for your question. From your post, it is difficult to know exactly what sort of scoliosis you have. Being 21 is not too young to have scoliosis surgery. However, it is important to remember that only 1 in 100 (at the most) people with scoliosis need treatment for it. So, surgery is rarely needed. It is usually for those who have curves that cause them to have an obvious deformity or will get painful arthritis from it in the future.

If you are getting back pain from scoliosis then the recommendation is to get fit with an exercise program aimed at strengthening your trunk muscles and improving flexibility. It will tend to improve your pain. Other things like massage, hot packs, paracetamol and anti inflammatories can also help. Your local doctor can advise you on the right types.

If you can't see a specialist privately, there are public clinics in the major hospitals in the capital cities. On the website is a list of scoliosis specialists. I would recommend contacting the offices of the one closest to you and seeing if they have a public hospital clinic where you can go.

Hope this helps.

Dr Scoliosis

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +10. The time now is 11:53 PM.

This forum is a project of

Spine Society of Australia

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.