Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Archived questions and answers from Dr Scoliosis > List of questions and answers from Dr Scoliosis

Old 12-02-2013, 11:58 AM

Default Harrington rod removal

Dr Scoliosis,

I have read the advice on the Scoliosis Australia forum about removal of rods but I have learned through my own research that many of the top revision surgeons overseas do not advise the removal of rods because it may compromise the fusion and will make later (potential) extension of the fusion more difficult. Could you please advise about the best current theory is amongst surgeons here in Australia?

Thanking you
Annie
Old 27-02-2013, 06:26 PM

Default Re: Harrington rod removal

Thank you for your further enquiry.

If you read the section on the website about rod removal our position statement is that there is no indication to remove rods unless there are some difficulties such as local pain because a part of the rod is prominent and irritating the skin.

Removal of a rod or rods does not make extension of the fusion more difficult if that is indicated. Indeed, it is often necessary to remove the initial internal fixation to devise an appropriate method of immobilisation when the fusion is extended. It is to be remembered that the rods simply hold the spine in a secure position while the fusion heals.

I trust the position is clear and again suggest you carefully read the website section on rod removal.

Dr Scoliosis