Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 05-12-2012, 09:19 PM

Default 12 year old having surgery in Jan

I am Victorias Father and just wanted to share our experience with her scoliosis battle over the past 5 years. Victoria will be turning 13 in Jan 2013, she will spend her 13th Birthday in a Melbourne Hospital. We first picked up on her curve at the age of 9, after many X-rays etc she ended up in a Brace which was at least a start to controlling the curve which was at 37. Thoracic curve was starting to change rapidly. It did not seem fair but we did what was required, only to find out after 12 months that we did not have the brace tight enough. Surgery was offered at the time, but did not feel comfortable with that option at the time. We looked for alternative measures and tried an Osteopath which did help ease her pain, but after 2 years the curve had moved to 63 degrees which was now critical.Her shoulder blade was very noticeable and the spine was not going to get better over time so a Scoliosis surgeon was now our only option. She will be going in to hospital middle of Jan to have 2 day operation, 9 hours each day. Both my wife and I are constantly trying to stay positive and strong for Vic as it is such a huge operation. After reading other posts on here we do feel we are making the right decision. I really feel for others who are going through the same experience. It is comforting to know we have one of the best surgeons working on our Daughter. We have an anxious wait. Brett
Old 06-12-2012, 10:56 AM

Default Re: 12 year old having surgery in Jan

I feel for you Brett. If there's one thing worse than facing this surgery yourself, it must surely be putting your own child through it. That said, kids recover amazingly well and quickly! My surgeon says he far prefers to work on kids because he sees such quick recoveries, with far fewer complications and less complaining! Haha!

This wait will be the worst time, apart from the two days of surgery of course. Having the best surgeon possible, is your best bet for a successful surgery and better recovery, so you've got that box ticked. How is your daughter coping, I wonder. It's huge to face this at her age. Tell her she'll do just great, and in a very short period of time, this will be over and she will be able to get on with her life as though she never had scoliosis. Best of luck to you all.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:19 PM

Thanks Jen for your kind words, Victoria is coping remarkably well, I just hope I can hold it together for her on the day she goes in. It is nice to know that their are people out there that care. Thankyou Brett
Old 07-12-2012, 10:52 PM

Hi Brett , my daughter candy is 14 and will be having surgery on jan 29 in Brisbane. She was diagnosed this year and had progressed to far for a brace. Her thoracic is 50 and lumber 30. They are doing fusion t7 to l1. She is a very active dancer; about 4 days a week and physical culture, and at the moment wants to do it for the rest of her life! It is so gut wrenching to come to the realisation of what they have to go through but because of this forum it gives us such hope that everything WILL be ok. I just hope I can keep it together when the time comes too. Cheryl ( will be thinking of you guys in January too)
Old 08-12-2012, 12:14 AM

Hi Brett, wow - 9 hours each day! My daughter had T4 - T12 fusion on 28th June this year but only 5 hours of surgery - her curve was right thoracic too and also at 63 degrees. She had surgery in Mlebourne even though we are from WA and the surgeon, hospital and nurses were remarkable. She is now back in the pool doing tumble turns, running 1.5 km and riding her bike on a spin trainer (she will aim for a triathlon in April as that and swimming are her passion). My daughter's bravery and the sheer gutsiness of the other children you read about on this forum are truly inspirational. I will be thinking of you on the days of the surgery and hoping your experience is a positive as ours.
Take care
Jane
Old 14-01-2013, 07:24 PM

Default Re: 12 year old having surgery in Jan 15th & 17th

The waiting is almost over for Victoria. Staying in Hospital tonight ready for the Big Operation Tomorrow. Nervous times. 1st op on 15th second op on 17th. Then No more Scoliosis. Praying for a good outcome for my little Girl. Xxx

Next few days will be very intense. Brett
Old 14-01-2013, 07:55 PM

All of the best for Victoria and you Brett and rest of your family and friends who must be very anxious! Stay strong. Lizxxxx
Old 14-01-2013, 09:57 PM

It is a relief to get to the point you are now at, after so many years of wondering and waiting. Sending you and Victoria thoughts of strength for the next few days, and of a lovely straight spine afterward
Old 15-01-2013, 07:02 AM

Sending lots of positive healing thoughts for you Victoria...you will be amazing and STRONG!!
Brett...thinking of you and your family. Just keep on focussing on when this will all be over Your brave little girl will be wonderful.
Helen
Old 15-01-2013, 09:34 AM

Hope everything went well yesterday and that the next couple of days passes uneventfully. You're halfway there!