Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Archived questions and answers from Dr Scoliosis > List of questions and answers from Dr Scoliosis

Old 01-08-2012, 10:43 PM

Default predicting curves

Hi Dr S,

Ive heard theres a machine, that can predict curves, whilst still young? Its in Brisbane. Is this the case? And would this be usefull, to Tara, with a very young child, like ours, and how acurate is it?

Many Thanks

Tracy
Old 10-12-2012, 05:02 PM

Default Re: predicting curves

Thank you for your question regarding the prediction of scoliosis in young children.

There are studies that follow the behaviour of scoliosis, once it has appeared. These studies help us predict how a curve is likely to progress. There are also genetic studies that may help do the same thing. That is, some researchers have identified genetic profiles in adolescents with scoliosis that they say help predict whether a curve will worsen or not. These studies are in the early phases and are not in widespread use.

As far as a "machine" that can predict the appearance of scoliosis in young children, there are none that I am aware of. There are certainly no scientific machines or devices in medical use that do this. There may be alternative practitioners who make a claim along these lines, but no studies exist to prove their effectiveness.

Dr Scoliosis
Old 10-12-2012, 08:55 PM

Default Re: predicting curves

Hi Dr S, Theres a robot called "George" thats used at Queensland University of Technology. A robot is kinda like a machine to me? George is used to project outcomes. Correct me if Im wrong, please.

Many thanks

Tracy