Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Archived questions and answers from Dr Scoliosis > List of questions and answers from Dr Scoliosis

Old 07-10-2010, 08:27 PM

Default Increase in curve

Hi Dr Scoliosis,

I posted to you a few months ago, when our 9 yr old daughter had 40 degree curve. In 3 months it has gone to 53 degrees, increasing by 5 degrees in 27 days? We are booked to have surgery on 23rd of this month. Staples from T5 to T11 and growing rods. Thank goodness we found an amazing surgeon on 3rd opinion.

I would just like to know in your opinion what has caused such a rapid decline so quickly? Have you previosly seen this so young? If we hadnt found this surgeon who knows what curve she would have had if we had waited 6 months?

Thankyou
Tracy
Old 15-10-2010, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Increase in curve

tracy

Thank you for your further enquiry.

A curve increase of 5 degrees in 27 days may simply be due to the technique used to make the x-ray. If you are x-raying a curved spine and the method of positioning the subject differs then there can be an apparent error. For example, if you take a curved piece of wire and you rotate it through 90 degrees then it will appear completely straight. The accepted error of measuring curves when the same x-ray is measured over and over again by the one observer is plus and minus 1 degree. It could be that the two x-rays were measured in slightly different ways. When curves are increasing in the growth spurt this is usually at or about 1 degree per month.

When a curve is under observation in the rapid growth spurt it is usual to see the patient at four monthly intervals during which time if an increase is measured it is likely to be real rather than within the errors of measurement.

I regret it is a rather technical explanation but trust it is understandable to you.
Old 15-10-2010, 10:13 PM

Dear Dr S,

With all due respect...... does that mean the three x-rays in stand-up position could have a variation of 13 degrees? The first 2 opinions we had only viewed the first x-ray? Our 3rd opinion has seen all 3, ordering extensive x-rays with rolls? Because if this is so we would not want to operate next week if there really has only been a variance of 3 degrees in 3 months? We acted quickly as we thought and were told that this was a very aggressive curvature and that our daughter was showing a 13 degree movement?
Would you care to see the x-rays, I could attach them to my next post... I would be very interested to hear your opinion after viewing them. The Scoliosis Australia Website says that the radiologist plays a very important role.... I hope they have had the proper training when interpreting x-rays along with spinal surgeons. Otherwise one would loose faith when putting the lives of our children into their hands.
Old 18-10-2010, 03:10 PM

Further to your post. That would be most unprofessional. This site is best regarded as a source of reliable, general information concerning scoliosis.

I think that perhaps the best approach for you to take is to set your concerns on paper and forward them to the surgeon who is looking after your daughter. Then a simple phone call may well resolve your misgivings and uncertainties.

Dr Scoliosis
Old 19-10-2010, 07:49 AM

Dr S

Thankyou for your opinion.

I have no misgivings. We fly to Brisbane for our daughters surgery on Saturday with complete faith in our talented surgeon, your well-wishes are appreciated.

Thanks
Tracy