Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 01-08-2018, 03:05 PM

Default 12 year competive swimmer with sociliosis

Hi,

So my first post...sorry if its a long one.. We are new to the forum... 4 weeks ago our families life got turned upside down after an innocent doctors appointment lead to xrays and to be sitting in front of a surgeon (not without a fight) to be told my daughter has serve sociliosis.. Her curve is standing at 79 degrees... We have no option but surgery... My daughter is a competive swimmer and has been from the age of 5 year old... (she's now 12) She lives and breaths swimming .. So I wondered if anyone else out there has been through surgery and how it impacted on your swimming life afterwards... Thanks
Old 11-08-2018, 01:06 PM

Default Re: 12 year competive swimmer with sociliosis

Hi there,
I have posted in here quite a bit about my daughter's spinal fusion and her swimming journey. She had just turned 13 when she was fused T4-L1 for a rapidly deteoriating 70-degree curve. She was already at National Age level at that stage.
We had a wonderful surgeon who understood her want to continue swimming post-surgery, so he did a slightly shorter fusion than what was needed for a "perfect" result. But the fusion still allowed her movement in her lower back, so she could still perform the turns, swim fly etc.
She was out of the water for 10 weeks, and then only allowed to kick for another three or so months after the surgery.
Very long story short, about seven months after her surgery, she again qualified for National Age and has every year since then. She is now 18 and still competing.
She is predominantly an open water swimmer these days, and has Open times in the 5km and 10km events, and has finished top 6 in Australia in her age group every year since she started open water in 2015.
Feel free to PM me if you want more information or to chat to someone who has been through it!