Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adults > Non-surgical management

Old 14-11-2012, 11:49 AM

Default How to manage your scoliosis when surgery is impossible?

Hi there,

I am 27 and now my scoliosis is 85 degree. Its pretty bad huh. I have thought of having surgery, I have seen a very good surgeon in Adelaide but now I have to give up the idea. I can't afford the cost which is around 90,000 (the surgery and implant). I am an international student doing PhD (1st semester). I am on scholarship.

First, I thought saving money from scholarship gonna be enough, but since it is too expensive, May be it's best to give up.

My pain is not too bad actually, I could feel the comfortableness but at this stage I never need pain killer. I feel pain after a whole day sitting at uni doing my research and all I should do is going home and laying down. the pain will go the next morning.

My question is how to manage my pain, I mean how to avoid the pain getting worse or how to avoid the curve increase.

I would love to hear if anyone got ideas.
Old 14-11-2012, 01:11 PM

Default Re: How to manage your scoliosis when surgery is impossible?

Hi
Wow I do feel sorry for you, that is one big curve. Gee I dont really have any suggestions about managing pain. Due to the greatness of your curve I hate to say but it will probably get worse. Is there any way that you can pay off your surgery to the Dr. I dont know much about SA and its health system. Here in QLD you can go public and it would not cost much at all but then again you would be on a waiting list PLUS been from overseas not sure how that would go. Rest and heat packs are my only suggestion and of course getting in the swimming pool. Hope some one can help you. Good Luck, hang in there
Rosie
Old 14-11-2012, 03:44 PM

Thanks for your concern Rosie, I've got my overseas health care card but there is so little chance for them to cover this. If I go to public hospital I still have to pay since I am an international student. I've been trying my best of finding fund. But now realizing that even after 3 years I can only have half of cost, I start to be more realistic. It's been hard for a few days now, I can really focus on my study. Starting on today, I just want to forget surgery for a while and hope my curve is not getting worse.
Old 14-11-2012, 09:50 PM

Hi Elizar

I can't offer much in the way of advice for pain management as I was sick of trying everything I could for many years, then I had surgery which fixed everything! Your curve is quite a substantial one, compared to my main one at 50 degrees.

Is going back to your home country to have the surgery an option? In some circumstances a PhD candidate can have extensions for all sorts of reasons. Just a thought...then as soon as you are well enough to come back to Australia you could get on with your research. I expect your supervisor would understand.

And...there is always crowd funding...which I would do in an instant if I needed money for an operation.
Old 14-11-2012, 09:59 PM

Hi Christine,

Thanks for the reply. This type of surgery is still not common in my country. Even if there is one available, they haven't got experienced doctors yet. I'm not confident having my treatment there, considering it is a major surgery.
Old 15-11-2012, 07:54 AM

Hi again
hey where are you from?
Rosie
Old 15-11-2012, 10:44 PM

HI elizar, I am from ADelaide as well. Would you like to PM me as to whom the surgeon is that you saw.