Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adults > Non-surgical management

Old 22-06-2012, 02:17 PM

Default I just found out I have scoliosis

Hi all, this is my first post here. I am Jenny.

I am 24 years old and from Adelaide, SA. Last year, when I was 23 I felt like I starting to get my life on track. I was doing something I always wanted to do - go to University.

I was involved in a car accident in April 2011 which triggered neck pain, back pain, shoulder pain etc. This had a big impact on my work and I had to take a leave of absence from University. The doctor I was seeing at first refused to send me to physio and thought the problem was just muscular.

After lots of xrays and ultrasounds generally saying everything is okay, after waiting just over a year in pain and not knowing what was wrong, a doctor referred for me to get a MRI done. This stated I have scoliosis from T1-T8 at 16 degrees.

Before the car accident I wasn't in pain at all. But when I think about it, I knew I had it when I was younger and wonder why I wasn't picked up with it at a younger age. I sit and lay crooked and I've been told I stand crooked too.

I'm actually going for compensation because of this car accident, and I wonder if they will let it slide because it's a pre-existing condition. But I can assure I was not in pain before hand.

I was advised to join a gym and go to physiotherapy. Is there any more advice anyone can give me to help with this condition?

Thank you.
Old 25-06-2012, 10:25 AM

Default Re: I just found out I have scoliosis

Hi Bravesthope, and welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about the ordeal you've been through. Sounds rough.

First off, yes, you should see a physio immediately. Steer clear of chiropractors would be my advice.

16 degrees sounds like it could be manageable and though I'm no doctor, Id say you're not in any danger of needing surgery to correct it (I've just had my 60 degree urve corrected with surgery and am now fused from T10 to sacrum).

A physio will at least be able to talk to you about it, and I'd say they will give you some good exercises to help, and maybe some massage treatment to ease the pain.

Hope this has been of some help and keep on posting-everyone here is very nice and incredibly helpful.

John.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesthope View Post
Hi all, this is my first post here. I am Jenny.

I am 24 years old and from Adelaide, SA. Last year, when I was 23 I felt like I starting to get my life on track. I was doing something I always wanted to do - go to University.

I was involved in a car accident in April 2011 which triggered neck pain, back pain, shoulder pain etc. This had a big impact on my work and I had to take a leave of absence from University. The doctor I was seeing at first refused to send me to physio and thought the problem was just muscular.

After lots of xrays and ultrasounds generally saying everything is okay, after waiting just over a year in pain and not knowing what was wrong, a doctor referred for me to get a MRI done. This stated I have scoliosis from T1-T8 at 16 degrees.

Before the car accident I wasn't in pain at all. But when I think about it, I knew I had it when I was younger and wonder why I wasn't picked up with it at a younger age. I sit and lay crooked and I've been told I stand crooked too.

I'm actually going for compensation because of this car accident, and I wonder if they will let it slide because it's a pre-existing condition. But I can assure I was not in pain before hand.

I was advised to join a gym and go to physiotherapy. Is there any more advice anyone can give me to help with this condition?

Thank you.
Old 27-06-2012, 12:11 AM

Thanks Johnny for your reply.

I have been doing physio on and off since the car accident, it generally hasn't made a big improvement though. I plan to get back into it, tell the physio what my problem is so maybe they can alter what I am doing at physio.

16 degrees doesn't sound like much, compared to a lot of other conditions of scoliosis I've heard of. I am hoping it will get better in time. If it persists, a doctor of mine suggested botox, though I'm not too sure how it works for scoliosis as of yet.
Old 27-06-2012, 08:59 AM

Hello

I read a while ago about medicos in Mexico who were testing Botox on scoliosis patients. Apparently injecting it around the spine freezes the muscles thus halting progression and deterioration of the curve. Something like that...

Christine x
Old 28-06-2012, 11:41 AM

A comment on Botox and scoliosis.

Botox is a toxin, botulinum, produced by a Clostridium bacteria. It is a powerful muscle paralysing agent. One of its uses medically is to weaken muscles in spasm. It is commonly used in cerebral palsy to reduce spasm in muscle in the arms and legs. It is injected accurately, often under ultrasound guidance, into a specific muscle or group of muscles. It must be used in tiny doses and with great care as overdose can cause serious consequences, such as swallowing or breathing difficulties.

The muscles of the spine are a complicated group comprising many short muscle groups bundled together like strands of rope. If spinal muscles are in spasm, there are too many to inject with Botox to be safe or effective.

In scoliosis, muscle spasm or pain may be present. It may occur as a result of a structural scoliosis, it is not the cause of one. Exercise, massage, medication and the like can be helpful in managing back pain in scoliosis.

There is no front-line, peer-reviewed medical evidence that Botox has a role in idiopathic scoliosis.

Dr Scoliosis
Old 01-07-2012, 11:34 PM

I am sorry to hear about the accident, it is never easy to deal with pain and injury when it is caused by someone else's mistakes. But on the positive side if you had not been involved with the accident you would not be aware of your spinal problem. Knowledge is power and now you are aware of the problem you can do everything possible to tackle it head on.

The biggest advice I can give you is to keep as fit and strong as possible, both physically and mentally. With a positive attitude you can deal with anything. Keep a strong, positive outlook, be happy and surround yourself with right people. Remember this is just a period of your life and it may be hard, but it will get better. I know it is hard to keep a positive attitude during hard times, but it will make the world of difference. I have not been able to work due to pain (I have a 90 degree bend in my spine from a rock climbing accident) and I am about to take a year of leave from university to have main surgery, so I can relate to where you are coming from.

Its good that you are attending the physio, that will help even if it doesn't seem so at the present. Staying physically fit is vital and every bit counts. Even if you can only do a small amount of physical activity it counts.

Also don't back off with the compensation, keep records, get the right team on your side and keep fighting. It sounds like who every caused the car crash has caused pain and injury, regardless of the prior injury and you deserve to be compensated.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:19 AM

Thanks for the replies. If I did get the botox, I wonder how long it would last.

I found your comment very inspirational Buzz. I did manage to speak to my lawyer and she mentioned that the MRI showed won't have an impact on my claim. Though she said she needed to ask a doctor how long would it have taken to occur if the accident hadn't happened etc.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:40 PM

So very glad that my comments were of some help. It's good to hear that your lawyer has reassured you that the MRI etc won't have a negative impact upon your case.

I wouldn't think a doctor would really be able to definitely answer the question of how long it would have taken for your back to deteriorate. Unfortunately scoliosis is so unpredictable and individual, but I guess a large porportion of medicine is speculation and guessing!

How is your back going?
Old 21-07-2012, 06:00 PM

Yeah, I didn't think a doctor would be able to provide answers either. My back is okay, it has its ups and downs, it mostly hurts after a full days of work.