Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adults > Non-surgical management

Old 12-08-2010, 04:22 PM

Unhappy coping with pain

Does anyone have any suggestions hope to cope with the constant pain in the hump as I call it. It is like a constant tight muscle spasm that never ever gets relief.....it drives me mad and gets you down....
Old 13-08-2010, 08:06 PM

Default Re: coping with pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions hope to cope with the constant pain in the hump as I call it. It is like a constant tight muscle spasm that never ever gets relief.....it drives me mad and gets you down....
It sounds awful Rosie. I didn't have that problem, but there is medication for muscle spasms, Valium being one. Please talk to your doctor, preferably a scoli surgeon and get help.
Old 13-08-2010, 08:56 PM

Rosie have you tried mersyndol?
Old 18-08-2010, 07:29 AM

Thanks Tracey.... I would prefer to stay away from drugs if I can as it would mean I would have to take them for the rest of my life. I have tryed all NSAID's and they do help a bit but have long term side effects. I just wish the pain would go away.....it gets a bit depressing.
Old 18-08-2010, 10:32 PM

Hi Rosie, how do you feel about accupuncture (sp?) and natural therapies. I myself am a fan of Homeopathy (tissue salts in particular) and Emu Oil. Magnesium supplements are good for muscle spasms, maybe give them a go. Gentle remedial massage. Heat pack/ice pack. Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on. Bet wishes!
Old 04-09-2010, 04:28 PM

Have you tried TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation)? It helped me a lot, but because skin irritations developed, I have had to use it less. (Actually, the directions say not to use TENS at all if you develop skin irritations. And I still use it some anyway!)

However, with any luck, you won't be one of the people with skin irritations. Before my skin irritations developed, I used TENS every day - still felt a need for Aspirin in addition, however. Here are a couple of articles about TENS:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcu...ve_stimulation
http://arthritis.about.com/od/assist...g/tensunit.htm

You also mentioned NSAIDS, which I also use. To be gentler on my stomach, I use water-soluble Aspirin in a little bit of water and swish it around in my mouth for about 10 minutes for sub-lingual and buccal delivery. (I.e., so it can go through the mucous membrane under the tongue and behind the upper and lower lip.) Then I either spit it out or swallow it (and assume that much of the Aspirin already has entered my system as described). Why 10 minutes? Originally I kept the aspirin in my mouth for half an hour. But I read an article about buccal and sub-lingual delivery of aspirin and other drugs - this author seemed to think that zero to ten minutes does the trick. However, if I have plenty of time, I still keep the Aspirin in my mouth for half an hour.

Hope something helps, and good luck!
Old 27-10-2010, 06:53 PM

Hi there

it's been 7 years since i came out of the back brace. I still get a lot of stiffness, and struggle to maintain a regular stretching regime. I have started a blog to help me get motivated. I would love you to have a look and share some of your story and tips and advice on how to best manage with the scol. http://www.holyscoly.blogspot.com/

Tamara
Old 21-06-2011, 05:06 AM

yes but valium is a depressant an if your pain is bad and bringing you down anyway then be very carefull of valium as you may get stuck in a visious circle.i dont have a hump but i do have that twisting spasm that has been so bad at times iv just rocked and cried.my doc put me on a drug called imipramine.i take it at night as this is when my twist is at its worst but it can be taken threw the day.i hope this is some what helpfull x
Old 04-07-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie View Post
I am in my late 40's and have suffered this pain for decades, five years ago I was sent to the spinal clinic at major public hospital, who in tern, put me under the care of the physio and rhuematology departments. The physio is a 'manipulative physio', I regularly go there every 4-6 weeks. He has freed up my joints so much (I found the joints cause the pain, not the muscles), that I virtually have no pain anymore, also the rhuematology team have put me onto fish oil (15mls day) along with panadol osteo. The difference is unbelievable. Get you GP to refer you to a clinic if possible, it might be worthwhile.