Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 07-12-2014, 06:30 PM

Default Surgery has arrived

I have my surgery on Tuesday (9-12-14) and I cannot believe it is finally here! I have read posts that are reassuring and others that make me cry but I think I need to have my own experience as everyone else's is different. I will be offline now but will be using this thread post-op to let you all know how I am doing!

I hope I am going to be okay in recovery. I wonder why I am doing this sometimes but then I ask myself, 'Do I really want to live like I am right now, for the rest of my life?' and that gives me my answer. I really hope some people on the internet are being drama queens, cause they really scare me: 'Oh, it was completely unbearable,' or 'That was the worst pain in my life!'

Anyway, I just hope I am going to be okay post-operatively. This thread will let you know how I am doing and if you have any last messages of support, I would be so grateful. (supportive messages are like telling me that it isn't as bad as they thought)

X Jade
Old 07-12-2014, 07:00 PM

Default Re: Surgery has arrived

All the best for Tuesday Jade!

I will be thinking of you and looking forward to hearing from you when the surgery is over and you feel human again xxx
Old 08-12-2014, 08:45 AM

All the best jade,
I am sure you will be extremely relieved to be on the other side of surgery. Waiting is the hardest part! Just to reassure you too, my daugher is now one month post op (T4 to L3 posterior fusion) and is doing really well. It is an intense time but I am sure you will be confident in your decision in the long run.
Jan
Old 08-12-2014, 12:37 PM

Exclamation Re: Surgery has arrived

I have a question, does everyone have a reaction to the morphine? I don't want to be spewing my guts out! I don't react to general anaesthetic so is that the same for morphine? Do they give you something to prevent morphine reaction?
Old 08-12-2014, 05:49 PM

Sorting out your pain meds can result in a bit of projectile vomiting, which liven things up! Not nice at all but it seems to be a standard part of those first few post-op days.

But you might be one of the lucky ones who don't react too much and can take it without being sick. But if you do, don't worry too much. There are a few different types they will try. We all go through it on some level.

I rather enjoyed my hallucinatory experience on one of the really strong ones! I saw underwater thingies floating in the air, watched hair growing on my hands, saw two of everyone
Old 09-12-2014, 02:02 PM

All the very best Jade
Had to laugh at Christines comment! Yep...theres not many who don't vomit! That's the first place I go when we arrive at hospital To stock up on vomit bags LOL
Look forward to hearing from you Jade xxx
Old 10-12-2014, 08:46 PM

Hi Jade - you are out the other side now - well done! Although you are probably feeling like you have been hit by an express train. We all get the vomits post surgery but the nurses are quick to sort it out and there are a few drug options. You will probably be on endone and tramadol with panadol. Enjoy your Fortisip drinks (I hated them!). Let us know when you are back. ALL the best to you - we all know how you are feeling.....