Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 31-01-2011, 10:58 AM

Default Surgery sooo worth it.

Hi everybody,

My daughters surgery is over and we are home from the hospital. all my fears were for nothing, everything went really well and she is now fused from t5 to t12. The first few days were hard and she had a lot of pain but as everybody has already said, they recover really quickly and it has been uphill from there with a few bumps along the way of course. We were quite concerned when we first saw her in recovery after surgery, she was very disorientated and the ketamine she was given did very strange things to her. She still has a small lower curve and slightly uneven hips but they achieved excellent correction at the fusion area. One shoulder is a little higher but the protruding rib is gone and her back is beautifully straight. We came home late on day 6, she was adamant to come home that day but we had to wait for bowel motion and an enema did the trick.
It's such a shame that we cant mention hospitals and doctors, I am so pleased, we had the best care, those people are really amazing.
DD was stiff for a few days after we came home but now nearly 2 weeks post op she is moving quite freely and doesn't seem to be having to much pain. In fact she's moving so well you would never know she had surgery so recently. Is this normal? I expected her to be worse than she is, our gp said she was way ahead of where she should be in terms of recovery, almost too good to be true, hope nothing goes wrong later.
To anyone considering surgery for a teenager, go for it, it is definately worth it, so far at least.
cheers Sue
Old 31-01-2011, 04:53 PM

Default Re: Surgery sooo worth it.

Yaaayyyyy! What a good news post! Congratulations on your daughter's successful surgery and smooth recovery. Many kids do extremely well and your daughter seems to be doing extra well. You must be incredibly relieved. How much height did she gain? Is the lower curve compensatory? Do they expect it to straighten out a bit? Not that it would seem to matter, it sounds like she has a lovely straight back. I still have a 22 degree curve but my back looks quite straight. One hip is just a tiny bit higher when looking at my front. The 22 degrees doesn't cause any discomfort and now that I'm fused, I doubt it ever will.

Wishing your daughter continued success and a bright future with her new back.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:12 PM

Jen I forgot to mention that she is now 5cm taller, no wonder they are dizzy when they first get up, the eyes and brain need to adjust to seeing thing from a different height and angle. She was standing on day 3, a few steps on day 4 and doing laps in the corridors on day 6. As for the lower curve, not sure if it is compensatory and what the angle is, I saw the x-ray just before we left the hospital and haven't spoken with doctor about it, we will know more at the 6 week appt. She says she has strange feelings in her back and can definately feel the rods, did you experience this? I know I've read it in one of your posts, but how long ago was your surgery and when did you feel normal? I'm concerned that dd is doing to much before the bone grafts heal.
Hope you are feeling great.
regards Sue
Old 02-02-2011, 07:49 AM

Hi Sue,
Just a quick one as I should be out the door to a meeting! So glad to hear your daughter is home! What a trouper only six days in hospital. Yes, it is hard to get them to go slow then when they are doing so well -it is all about the bone graft. How are you? It takes it out of us parents and I don't think you realize it until you have time to stop and breathe.
Catch you soon
Annette
Old 02-02-2011, 10:17 AM

Hi Sue,

That's fab news about her regained height. She must be feeling very willowy at the moment! (You do get used to it, I gaind almost 2 inches.)

In answer to your questions. I don't normally feel the rods, but if I lean against something hard - a wall or a chair-back - I can feel the screws/rods (not sure which) at the top. When I'm tired, I can still occasionally feel a slight tugging when I reach up or forwards. But I have no pain and it's not something I really notice much now. I feel as though the hardware is part of me now, not some foreign object threatening to turn me into a robot! <laughing emoticon>

My surgery was around 8 hours and I guess I started to feel normal at about 3 months. By six months, most definitely, but the improvements in flexibility continue and I'm nearly 2 years post-op now. Teens are way ahead of us oldies in that they feel 100% much sooner.

It's awesome, isn't it?
Old 04-02-2011, 11:28 AM

Annette you are right about things taking a toll on parents, I thought I was ok while at the hospital but I felt like a truck had run over me after we came home. It took me two days to feel better after that, now I think I'm doing fine, I feel better and my daughter is well, she wants to visit the school and collect her homework already, but I'm just stalling her for now. How is Dom doing? Is he going to school?

Jen it must have been nice to grow as an adult when most have started the shrinking process. I'm really glad you are doing well

regards
Sue
Old 09-02-2011, 07:11 PM

Hi ... Glad I came on for a little look before we head up tomorrow for Laura's pre-op clinic and hopefully her long awaited surgery date. I'm still in the dark as to the number of surgeries Laura has to have dare say tomorrow I'll be more informed as I have my little list of ?'s for them especially regarding the halo traction and removal of discs before the fusion, anyway lovely to hear your daughter's surgery went well makes me feel a little less anxious.
Lynn
Old 09-02-2011, 08:40 PM

Good luck Lynn,

I look forward to hearing what the Doctors say. I so Hope it all goes well and all your questions are answered. I will be thinking of you and sending positive thoughts.
Louise
Old 09-02-2011, 09:39 PM

Sue

So pleased to hear DD is going well!! Arent they little CHAMPIONS!!!!! We would still be in bed?? So nice that she wants to visit school...kids will love to see her!!
Great news Sue!!

Cheers Trace
Old 09-02-2011, 11:42 PM

hello to all,
firstly Lynn good luck with the doctors visit, hope you get all the info you need, remember to focus on the positive, the pre-op can be tiring and I remember walking away still concerned. just trust the doctors and yourself that this is the best thing for Laura. please keep us informed of your progress.

Tracy thanks for your message, our kids truly are champions. it's just over 3 weeks and she is very mobile and has been for the last week or so. although she tires very easily and needs to rest often. the school visit was great, there was quite a commotion and she loved every minute of it, even mentioned how different everything looked from her new height. it's honestly hard to believe that everything has gone so well, I'm putting it down to her positive attitude going into the surgery. I originally had so much fear and doubt because my daughter always had a a low tolerance to pain and would scream the house down over a paper cut, I suppose she's grown up.

cheers to all
Sue