Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Archived questions and answers from Dr Scoliosis > List of questions and answers from Dr Scoliosis

Old 24-07-2014, 05:11 PM

Default "Don't bother"?

Hi there.

I've not been diagnosed with scoliosis nor ever been screened for it, but the short version is that I've been experiencing signs that people keep pointing out to me, such as the crooked shoulders/hips, and a limp I seem to have developed seven months ago. (People bring up my limp all the time, but I've never hurt that leg, ever.)

But I have a friend, also in the States, who has scoliosis. She has terrible chronic pain, but the doctors told her not to bother treating it because the curve wasn't bad enough, and she told me that since I didn't even have pain there's no point. I get discomfort when I sit down and for some reason I can't stand for long even though I can walk for miles, but I don't know if that's related.

... But that's the States. Is scoliosis treated differently here? All signs seem to say if I don't get this taken care of (presuming this is scoliosis) then I'm going to wind up disabled in twenty years with miserable pain, so wouldn't a doctor want this treated ASAP?

But is there a point to going if I'm not experiencing pain yet?

I'm 22 years old, by the way.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:26 PM

Default Re: "Don't bother"?

Thank you for your question. It is possible that you have a scoliosis, but there are other possible causes, the most likely being a leg length difference. These are common. As this assessment canít be done without a physical examination, I would recommend being reviewed by a general practitioner.

As a general comment, most people with scoliosis need no treatment for it and debilitating pain is rare.

Dr Scoliosis
Old 08-08-2014, 12:04 PM

Default Re: "Don't bother"?

Thanks for your reply! I wasn't aware most cases don't need treatment -- I was afraid it was treatment or pain. So thank you.