Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Observation and medical supervision

Old 29-08-2013, 10:47 PM

Default Re: Intro and Question re Sports after surgery?

Hi Shan,
sophie had her first swim at 12 weeks post sx and took it pretty easy for a while. She was told no butterfly until 6 months post fusion. She did not swim at the level of your daughter but at 9 months post sx swam a full interschool with fly, back, breast and free. she was not limited to kick drills but did not do fly ubtil 6 mo post sx. I think it depends on your surgeon but I consult our marvellous surgeon on every matter and he is kind enough to answer every query promptly. Good luck with the swimming
jane
Old 02-09-2013, 07:16 PM

Hi Shan, our surgeon has no issues with normal training, altho my daughter has elected to reduce her training to around 4 hours a week so is not full on. She does everything the other kids do at training, unless her shoulders hurt and then she cuts back on the butterfly!
Her surgeon asked for her to give up contact sports this season, which she did but is now doing P.E. at school incl basketball, hockey and netball (5mths post surgery). She knows her limits and isn't pushing herself too hard, but I think its just as important to keep fit and keep her muscle tone so have no issues with the level of sports she's doing.
Cheers
Sarah
Old 02-09-2013, 07:32 PM

Hi Jane, re osteo , her shoulder blade seems to stick out where the top curve used to be from time to time .... I dont know what he actually does but she goes into the clinic with one sticking out shoulder blade and comes out with two perfectly normal looking ones ! I go into each session with her (its compulsory with her age) ... and it is very gentle manipulation, but with very visible results. She also tends to get a little sore around the six week mark but that eases after osteo.