Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Observation and medical supervision

Old 19-11-2011, 10:15 PM

Default Musicians and Scoliosis

Hi- has anyone had surgery for scoliosis and returned to playing piano and violin? This is one of the main questions we have for our 11 year old daughter who is a serious musician. How long was the recovery and what things should we anticipate before returning to previous level of playing? Any information would be appreciated.
Old 21-11-2011, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Musicians and Scoliosis

Hi Miffy,

My daughter Rach plays the piano and had surgery 6 weeks ago. She has played a few times since the op. I don't think her surgery will have any long term negative effect on her music. If anything, I think it will help her as she was very uncomfortable sitting at the piano for long and couldn't sit straight. I am expecting she will be able to play for longer and enjoy it more now. (No more excuses for not doing her practise!!)

I imagine the violin will take a bit longer to get back to as you have to raise your arms to play.
I am sure that surgery will only have a positive effect on your daughters music in the long term.
Sonia
Old 23-11-2011, 05:06 PM

Thank you Sonia for your comment. Everyone says it will be ok but that is so vague. It was good of you to point out that it may be sore to put her arms up initially with playing the violin. This is the sort of information i was looking for and something to anticipate when she returns to it.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:58 PM

Hi Miffy,

I dont have any advice on the music stuff..

Apart from my son has had guitar lessons for years, he doesnt have scoliosis. Has your daughter had definitive fusion at 11? She must be very advanced for her age? What was her risser? Hope it all goes well...best wishes.
Tracy x
Old 07-02-2012, 12:54 AM

I play violing a lot and I don't have problems. However, that could be different because I have a Spinecor brace, not a Boston brace.