Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 03-03-2011, 02:22 AM

Smile Happy to answer any questions :)

I am a 17 year old girl and I had my scoliosis surgry 6 months ago at 16. I am more than happy to answer any questions anyone may have about how to prepare for the surgery, my personal experience, what it is like afterwards, or just to have a chat about it, as I know this is what I needed before having my operation.
I am happy to help with anything
Old 03-03-2011, 09:19 AM

Default Re: Happy to answer any questions :)

Hi Ally, glad to hear you are going so well. My daughter is almost 16 and had her operation in 2008, she is doing well also so its great to hear and also others wont be so worried to know that it turns out ok at the end
Old 03-03-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
I am a 17 year old girl and I had my scoliosis surgry 6 months ago at 16. I am more than happy to answer any questions anyone may have about how to prepare for the surgery, my personal experience, what it is like afterwards, or just to have a chat about it, as I know this is what I needed before having my operation.
I am happy to help with anything
Hi Ally
My daughter have been told she got scoliosis and she will need surgery done. We are very worry that she will be in alot of pain. Also can you tell me can feel the rods in your spine when the weather change and do you have any pain?
Old 03-03-2011, 05:40 PM

My Hang, try not to worry too much, do you know when she will be getting the surgery?
For me, the first week after the operation was the hardest, but you are put on enough pain medication so it isn't too bad. The nurses will look after your daughter very well and make her as comfortable as possible. You also have medication for when you are at home, and even though it is still sore for a little while, it gets better and better every single day.
I am in no pain at all now, it feels great
and i haven't noticed any change in my back according to the weather, i don't think it effects me at all.
best wishes to your daughter
Old 03-03-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumof2 View Post
Hi Ally, glad to hear you are going so well. My daughter is almost 16 and had her operation in 2008, she is doing well also so its great to hear and also others wont be so worried to know that it turns out ok at the end
that is so good to hear and i agree, if there is any reassurance we can give to people going through the same thing, it would be great
Old 01-10-2011, 04:16 PM

Hey, I have been wondering and thinking if I should get the surgery for my 42 degree thoracic and 28 degree thoracolumbar curve. I get tolerable pain almost every day and if I'm lucky, around a couple of times per week. It hurts quite a lot if I'm travelling and walking all day, just a stinging pain down the lower part of my back which never leaves only if I lie down. I'm fifteen and turning sixteen in twelve days, and my next appointment is in six months time.

I heard that idiopathic scoliosis increases as you grow older by 1-3 degrees each year and I don't want to wait until my curve reaches 50 degrees to have surgery because I would rather suffer the pain now, when I'm still young. But anyway, that's besides the point but I wanted to know if you had pain before your surgery? And did it get a lot better after it? Or was it still the same? And can you do almost anything first six months post-op? Thank you!
Old 01-10-2011, 05:04 PM

Hi, I'm 16 and had surgery about 8 months ago. I got pain before the surgery as well, but only when I played sport or sat at a desk for a while (school). You can't do much in the first 6 months, but I could walk within 24 hours, swim after 2 months, run after 4 months, and I was back a contact sports at 6 months. And now I get absolutely no pain! I hope this helps a bit

Last edited by Georgia; 01-10-2011 at 05:05 PM. Reason: missed a bit
Old 01-10-2011, 06:09 PM

Hey Georgia, how many degrees was your curve before the surgery?
Old 01-10-2011, 08:33 PM

My main curve was 65 degrees with another one below it of about 45 and one above it which was too small to bother measuring, but they are both now about 20 which is awesome
When I was first diagnosed at 13, the main one was about 45 degrees and the one below it about 35 degrees