Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 03-11-2014, 09:47 PM

Default parental leave

Hi to all,
I am a parent of a 16 yo boy who will have an anterior fusion in December. The hospital asked me if I had a shower stool and how many steps into the house, and how long the drive home from the hospital was. They plan to discharge in 5-7 days. I need to know how long I will need to take off work to assist him, and what he will actually need help with when he gets home. Any other tips and how to manage in the hospital would be helpful. I will be on my own until we get home.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:03 PM

Default Re: parental leave

Hey Fizzio,
Your son will amaze you! Its no "walk in the park" and the first few days are really draining on both kids and us! But everyday after around day 5 just gets better and better! We had surgery on the Wednesday and discharged the following Tuesday. Drove from Brisbane to Coffs (half way home) We had a town-house and our daughter managed the stairs several times to check out the beach! She also showered herself that night. I didn't even know as she was downstairs. Kids are so residual! Our daughter is 3 months post-op and swam 2 kms today! We were allowed back to swimming week 8 and have built every week. Trust your surgeon and follow his/physios instructions. We were walking 40 minutes at 6 weeks. I would say 4 weeks for time off. They can go back to school at 4 weeks but ours fell in holidays so we had to do any half days. Every child is different so just play it by ear. Its weird...but while they are recovering they only do what they know they can. Then at 2 months you need to tether them to something to stop them!

Best wishes for surgery!
Tracy
Old 11-11-2014, 03:19 PM

Hi Fizzio,
My daughter has just come home today after posterior fusion. I have taken 2 weeks fully off work including the time in hospital, and then for the next 2 weeks I will be working half hours and sharing some care with my husband and my daughter's grandma. I decided that she needed to have someone at home for the first 4 weeks at least, I know that she is going to get more and more independent, but they also need the company and encouragement and support as much as the physical help.
It is a very busy time, you definitely need time off so that you can manage it all otherwise it is just too stressful trying to run in 50 different directions. Life also continues on for siblings with school and home and so between that and all the time in hospital, it is best to plan for some time off so that you also look after yourself.
I found coming home today that I was also exhausted and needed some time to recharge myself too. If I had to go back to work too quickly, I am sure that I would find it very tiring.
Having said that, it is great to be home and my daughter is very happy with her result. It is amazing to see her progress each day after the surgery. It is also a relief to be on the other side of surgery; the lead up is a pretty stressful time.
Wishing you the very best.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:56 PM

Hi there. My daughter had T4-L1 posterior fusion. I had four weeks off work with her. School holidays started at the end of those four weeks so my husband took the two weeks of school holidays off to be with her. She went back to school full time after the six weeks but probably would have been ok a week or so earlier. Good luck to you.