Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 07-08-2014, 11:55 AM

Default Return to school and travel

Hi everyone,
I hope everyone is going ok.

Our son is Post op 8 weeks anterior fusion and 7 weeks posterior fusion. He is returning to school for a few hours tomorrow.

Does anyone have any tips. He is worried about the amount of stairs the school has and being bumped in the playground and how he is going to sit in a school chair. Any practical tips would be appreciated. Eventually he will have to catch the bus, but for now we will be his ride to and from school. Which will be a bit of a juggling act.

We are no longer taking the Targin, just panadol and Lyrica.

Also, we are travelling to New Zealand to cruise in January and have been looking at Travel Insurance. It mentions Pre-existing conditions and one of these is spinal surgery. HAs anyone obtained travel insurance for a trip and if as can you advise who you used. A PM is ok.

Thanks again.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Return to school and travel

Hi there. I just asked my daughter who returned to school full time six weeks after her posterior-only T4-L1 fusion, about 14 months ago.
She said she took the lift at school for a couple of weeks (if that's an option for your son). She also had a comfortable chair given to her by teachers and she asked her friends to carry things for her.
She caught the public bus to and from school from the day of her return as we had no other way of getting her there, so we ensured she did not carry text books (most were on her laptop anyway, so it was not an issue). She was also exempted from PE lessons for the term.
As she was in Year 8, the majority of her lessons were in the same classroom, so she didn't have to move about too much during the day. When she did, her friends ensured no one got too close to avoid her being bumped.
She was not taking any pain medication at the time.
She re-adjusted to school very quickly and I eventually stopped worrying about her every single day!
No experience with travel insurance, sorry.
Good luck to your son. I am sure he will also readjust very quickly.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:49 PM

Hi,
My son was in Year 8 when he had surgery and returned for half days at first. He had to catch a train to and from school, but said that although tiring, it did not cause him any problems. He just took a laptop with him so he didn't need to carry a backpack. He was allowed to leave classrooms 5 minutes before the end of lessons so that he could get to the next classroom before the crowds gathered.
We have just come back from an overseas holiday and took out travel insurance. The pre-existing condition clause is common. We were advised by the insurance company that he would not be covered for any medical costs that occurred while overseas, if they were a result of the scoliosis/surgery. The pre-existing condition clause does not apply to medical costs for illness/injury etc unrelated to spinal surgery. Hope that helps.
Old 19-08-2014, 06:14 AM

Hi, how's the school been going?
My son was pretty slow to get back then needed to have days at home every 2-3 days I think. For the year he ended up with 75% attendance rate and that was after surgery 3rd week in feb.
Take it slow and don't worry or push too much, it will happen with time and the schoolwork is not as important as health and happiness.
Used dad's overnight wheely suitcase for school, friends helped carry tablet. Got small backpack by 4th term. This year he has a double set of second hand books (in locker at school and at home) and doesn't use tablet, just USB, much better. He also has casual job as cashier in supermarket, plays frisbee in spare time at school! Still gets sore legs and back after long hours but is pretty good generally.
Hope that helps. It's a worrying time for you I know.
Liz
Old 19-08-2014, 05:02 PM

Remember too that all kids are different and recover at different rates. 12 months post surgery, my son can carry a backpack no problem - whether it be a heavy DSLR camera with lenses and tripod or hiking up a 4000m mountain. Your son will let you know what he can and can't do, don't worry!