Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 11-06-2014, 04:52 PM

Default 12 months today!

It is 12 months today since my daughter's fusion (T4-L1). The time has absolutely flown. I think back to how we were feeling 12 months ago and just wish I could have known what a fantastic outcome we would have.

I have posted here before about her remarkable recovery, but for anyone new who might be apprehensive about their own child's surgery, here's our story.

My daughter was diagnosed with an aggressive 60 degree thoracic curve with compensatory curves in November 2012, when she was 12. We were told surgery was the only option. She is a swimmer and continued to compete at a national level right up until the surgery.

Surgery was one week after her 13th birthday. It went better than expected, with good de-rotation of her spine, although she does still have a small rib hump and the top curve did not straighten as expected. She was only in hospital four nights. Once home, she recovered very quickly. On her surgeon's advice, she was not able to return to the pool at all for three months, and then she was on severely limited training. She returned to full training in November last year.

In January, she won a silver medal at the SA State swimming championships and qualified for the national championships in Sydney in April. She has also just been named in the SA team to compete in the School Sport Australia swimming championships in Melbourne this July.

Since her surgery, she has also completed a 2.5km open water swim, several triathlons, a 12km fun run and a water polo season. She feels 100% completely normal and the fusion has not stopped her living her life exactly as she wants to.

Facing spinal fusion is scary but it is so worth it. The past 12 months have gone by in the blink of an eye. I wish everyone facing this journey with their own child a similar wonderful outcome. These kids are absolutely amazing with their strength and determination and each and every one of them is a real inspiration.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:00 PM

Default Re: 12 months today!

Hi Shan, that is an amazing story. So glad to hear of her achievements. We hope to see her one day representing us at the Olympics! Congratulations to her. Best wishes, RB
PS: I just noticed you are SA. Are you able to PM me her Surgeon?
Old 11-06-2014, 10:50 PM

Wow Shan! that is wonderful news. yes life goes by so quickly. Sophie's 2nd anniversary is in 17 days time . She is battling I. With year 12 at the moment trying to get a high score to get into veterinary medicine but has vowed that in her gap year next year she will do the iron woman event at our local team marathon (13km run, 8 km paddle , 1km swim and 23km bike ride.). Your daughter's swimming achievements are wonderful ...CONGRATULATIONS!
Old 14-06-2014, 11:46 AM

Thanks, Jane. Very best of luck to Sophie for the rest of Year 12 and the ironwoman plans. That's a seriously huge race! More proof these kids are amazing.
Old 16-06-2014, 11:28 PM

That's wonderful news Shan.

Makes me feel like we have something to hold onto, given Miss 11.9's surgery is on the cards.

All the best

Dy