Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 25-05-2014, 05:23 PM

Default Surgery in June

Hi All

This is my first post to this forum. First of all, I'd just like to say thank you so much to all who have contributed to this forum providing a great resource of support and information for all who have to go through this surgery. My 16 year old daughter is booked in for anterior and posterior surgery in June. The first operation will be from T11 to L3 and the second operation, a week later, will be from T2 to L1. I trust she is in good hands and that is reassuring, however, one week to go and anxiety is starting to build. I would be grateful to hear from anyone who has undergone the double operation, one week after the other. Many thanks, Holly.
Old 27-05-2014, 11:44 PM

Default Re: Surgery in June

Hi Holly,
Welcome to the forum! My son had posterior only but I am sure there are others similar to you! Best wishes for the surgery next week.
Sometimes the posts aren't seen when other threads going on, I hope you get some other replies soon! Liz
Old 28-05-2014, 02:11 AM

Hi Holly and welcome to the forum. i was the patient in this case and had both anterior and posterior but not to the extent you mentioned. I only had anterior at L4/5-L5/S1 and then posterior T11-S1 but both done on the same day. Is there a reason for the long fusions both back and front? I have heard of this before but now can't remember why this technique is used. Are you able to elaborate more? Best wishes, RB
Old 31-05-2014, 08:42 PM

Hi Rodverta
Thank you so much for your response, much appreciated. My daughter has a right thoracic (T6-T11)and left lumbar(T12-L4) double major curve pattern. There is also an upper thoracic curve as well from T2-T5. Diagnosis was made when she was 14 and curves were at that time 45 degrees and have since progressed beyond 50 degrees. She has experienced chronic back pain during the past couple of years. Originally it was recommended she have a full spinal fusion by posterior method in the one operation. However, a second opinion was sought and the recommendation was for this double procedure whereby the initial anterior surgery appears to be more effective in terms of correction and motion preservation. Thank you again for your response and best wishes at this time. Holly
Old 06-06-2014, 09:17 PM

Hi there

I hope your daughter is going ok. My son is 6 days from his first of two surgeries and also not certain what to expect. Although we have been reading posts. How has it all been going?