Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > The National Self-Detection Program for Scoliosis (NSDPS) > Healthcare professionals/school Principals/school nurses/parents

Old 28-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Default We welcome your comments

All interested parties are welcome to comment on the NSDP in this forum.

Admin
Old 22-07-2012, 08:04 PM

Default Re: We welcome your comments

Hi, I have only quickly read this information and am the mother of a boy with scoliosis and as far as I can see all the information relates to girls but detection is important. Understanding the cost factors I would like to suggest that a great opportunity for information to go out would be in Yr7 when girls are having immunisation for cervical cancer through schools and they take all that information home?
The self detection pamphlet looks good and very understandable, it would be very worthwhile to have it distributed. Cost wise too, many schools now email newsletters home to parents - a very economical alternative. Easier said than done but get the education department on board and they could do an email distribution to all schools for forwarding?
Cheers
Annette
Old 23-07-2012, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Thank you for your suggestion, Annette. We are looking into it.

Admin
Old 25-07-2012, 09:20 PM

Sorry, one more suggestion...could the brochure be changed to include boys? ie. instead of "for schoolgirls" it could be for children aged 11 to 13 and go on to list the stats re boys and girls. Even though the stats are less for boys it is just as important and from personal experience perhaps more so that we check the boys as we are less likely to see them in their "natural" state as they get older, making it easier for them to go on undetected. In our personal experience too, being a particularly sunsafe family the wearing of a sun shirt with swimmers stopped us seeing the curve even then. Psychologically too, if they are included in the detection program/literature they may feel less isolated/"freaky" if they are diagnosed.
Thanks
Annette
Old 27-07-2012, 04:04 PM

Dom's mum

Thank you for bringing up the question of including boys in the National Self-Detection Program for Scoliosis.

There is widespread agreement between those who work in this field that there is no case for screening boys and their growth spurt commences approximately 18 months later than the onset in girls.

We are working away at trying to raise awareness amongst family doctors about the importance of examining the spine as part of the routine physical examination during early adolescence.

This matter is outlined in our Policy Statement on the website.

Thank you for your interest.

Dr Scoliosis
Old 27-09-2012, 03:13 PM

Hi, back in August (the day after her 12th birthday) we found out that my eldest daughter has scoliosis with a curve of 45 degrees. Our first appointment with the surgeon is still another 6 weeks away & I realise that with scoliosis there is a lot of waiting.
I would like to find out how I am able to help raise awareness about scoliosis throughout the schools in my area & not just high schools either my daughter is only in year 6 so I feel that primary schools should be informed of the Self-Detection Program as well.
I really would like to also find out about creating a support group in our local area, just concerned about legalities and what is and isnt allowed. If my daughter and others could meet other young people in similar circumstances maybe they wouldn't feel so alone.
Would you be able to let me know if there is anything I can do.
Thankyou Jo
Old 19-10-2012, 04:09 PM

Joey, thank you for your post and, indeed, you raise a very important aspect of the care of children with spinal curvature.

First, may I say that we view this forum as a form of "support group" and we trust that this is helpful to those who participate. However, one can appreciate the importance of face-to-face contact for adolescents and their parents when a family member is facing a major treatment program.

It is to be acknowledged that scoliosis and kyphosis treatment is largely centred at teaching hospitals and particularly children’s hospitals. Many years ago the Dr Scoliosis on duty started a support group which proved to be successful. Surgeons are very busy people and have little time for professional activities outside their working hours. For example, a support group can meet only out of hours, so to speak – that is, in the evening.

The approach which was used was to enlist the assistance of the Social Work department at a large teaching hospital. Social Work students, who are usually female, as part of their education undertake what is called a "placement". This is usually in some form of health-related activity for several months. A student was contacted through the hospital and the related university. The project took off very well indeed and it soon became clear that the most important ingredient was enthusiastic mothers and so the group became self-sustaining. Obviously there are variations on what has just been detailed.

To take matters further you could make an appointment with the surgeon looking after your daughterto see if there is a possibility of taking action along the lines suggested.

Good luck.

Dr Scoliosis
Old 29-07-2013, 09:11 AM

Admin, thanks for your post regarding the issue of the self detection brochures & your work on this. Our school are checking if they have received a letter but did comment that due to the cost factor of printing the brochures, they may allow us to raise the issue in our school newsletter instead with a link to your website. I guess anything is better than nothing! My elder daughter is in year 7 and the immunisation program this year in Victoria was extended to include boys too who get the HPV vacine. When the notice came home from school/Health Dept, it occured to me that an opportunity was there to include a link to your website and the brochure so that parents could check their kids or get their Chiropractor/physio/gp to do so. Has this been mooted with the Health dept? It would be wonderful to see any help from them in raising awareness. My younger daughter is the Leader of the Melbourne Curvy Girls Scoliosis Support Group and as the group grows, one of the main comments from families is lack of awareness of the condition and so late detection restricts options. We are trying to help with spreading the message too through publicity and hopefully with the efforts of all of us we can get the message out there. Thanks for your continued work and excellent brochure. Curvy Mum Sarah
Old 30-07-2013, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Sarah, thank you for your post.

Several years ago we made an effort to explore this possibility and it was not received with enthusiasm from the Health authorities. However, our website has links from all but two Departments of Health in Australia.

It sounds like your daughter's support group is doing very well and she must be very pleased.

Admin
Old 16-08-2013, 06:54 PM

Hi Admin, I guessed it would have been tried before and it's such a shame as it would be an ideal time to raise early detection. Curvy Girls Melbourne is going very well and the girls and families are benefiting from meeting up and sharing experiences and knowledge.