Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 11-03-2011, 07:24 PM

Default Re: help in melbourne please

Hi Sue,
I'm in grade 11 and I've just had the surgery 4 weeks ago. I've only just started to go back to school this week, and thats only been for a couple of hours at a time. I have been spending a lot of my time recovering either asleep in bed, or sitting up right on the couch. AS for the stairs... well, when I was in hospital on day 5 after the surgery, we had to evacuate because of a fire and being on the top floor meant that I had to do 9 flights of stairs. I also live in a 2 story house and I find stairs no trouble at all - just make sure she takes her time going down them.
I hope all goes well
xoxo Georgia
Old 14-03-2011, 01:42 PM

Hi all,
We had the six week check up last week, it was week 7, anyway all is well. healing nicely with no major issues at this stage. Surgeon did mention that she should still only be sitting up for 45 mins max and then should lie down or stand up for a while, so we are definately doing too much too soon considering dd had 4 full days at school last week and when I said tell her please doctor, the reply was " īt's mums job to nag " so she wasnt to concerned. no special exercises or physio required apparantly, I don't agree with this, but we need to be building up to 20 min brisk walking daily for core strength. Oh and the bone grafts take 3 months to heal so we have another check up in 6 weeks.

Annette how is Dom going and how are you? You have so much going on with other other kids too. I really feel for you. In reply to your remark about the school, I actually discovered that some of her teachers had no idea about the surgery etc, so I had to go and explain it all, you'd think the co-ordinator would have mentioned it at a staff meeting. They are giving her plenty of time to catch up so thats good and she's not attenting p.e. classes so she will get a n/a for that subject.

Georgia thanks for your email and advice, wow about having to evacuate the hospital, how did you manage in your condition? We have no problems with the stairs, she is up and down quite easily and even skipping steps going up!! As a parent my advice to you is to take it easy, I keep telling my daughter to enjoy the time and milk peoples attention and sympathy but she is still forging ahead and always trying to be self sufficient. Not a good idea, you should always let people help you, enjoy the moment, it doesnt last very long. Wishing you a speedy and uneventful recovery.

Cheers Sue
Old 10-04-2011, 08:06 PM

Hi Sue,
Sorry I have been pretty slack lately, did do a long reply a while ago and it timed out and logged me off so will make this one quick. My husband always says I talk too much anyway!!! How is everything going? Must be nearly due for another checkup, hope she has gone from strength to strength. In regards to the physio most doctors seem to say it isn't needed but all parents I have spoken to have done it, us included. I think it has been good for Dom's strength and just a positive for him overall emotionally and physically.
How are you going? Can be a bit hard when you finally have time to stop and take it all in.
Annette
Old 30-07-2011, 11:20 PM

Hi Annette,

you're not the only one being slack, its been months since I've had a chance to pop in here. All is well at our end, everything was fine at the last check up and surgeon quite happy with progress, the lower curve is improving too. I did ask how the fusions were progressing and if they could point them out to me. Dr replied, we can't really we just assume its fusing??? Is this normal? Did I misunderstand? Honestly I have total faith in our surgeon but that reply has put huge question marks in my head. On the upside dd is progressing well, back at school full time all of last term with the occasional day off when she was too tired, no phys ed which suits her as she is very lazy and no exercise even though the dr said 20 min daily walks. She is fairly mobile now and I no longer freak out about her being bumped in a crowd ( the football was scary early on in the season ) We are carlton supporters and our team always gets large crowds, We surrounded her like bodyguards all the way to our seats and now she walks along quite freely. We have another appointment in sep and I will update then.

As for me, I think I'm ok, been so busy lately haven't really had time to think much, but I am soo thankful that the surgery is over and pray that she won't need one for the lower curve. I think I have it pretty easy compared to you and many other parents here with more severe situations. Hope you're well too and good luck with your young men.

regards Sue
Old 02-08-2011, 11:03 PM

Smile Re: help in melbourne please

Hi Sue,
Glad to hear your daughter is doing so well. My daughter had her surgery in March. She is also progressing well and has been back at school full time since beginning of term 2, but also with the occasional time off if she is tired. Cate is still on medication for a damaged nerve caused by one of the screws. The surgeon said it will heal by itself but does not know how long, but even in the last couple of days she thinks it is starting to feel a lot better. I hope so as I don't like her being on this medication for too long. Her ribs have grown back after the resection (amazing that they can grow back). Her spine is straight, no hump and her lumbar curve has derotated. She started back at dancing slowly and on the weekend has started back doing some pointe work. We will be seeing the surgeon again in Sept for a check up and xray. Hopefully the nerve will be better so we can avoid having a CT scan.

Angela.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:04 PM

Hi Angela, it's great to hear that your daughter is doing well also. It's a shame about the nerve damage, but if the doctors aren't worried then neither should you. Our kids are truly amazing and you will be surprised by their strenght and resilience daily. I injured my back recently and the pain was incredible, it made me realise just how strong my daughter was throughout the syrgery and recovery. Hope your daughter continues to improve steadily. How are you doing? It's a tough time for parents and carerers too, hope you are taking care of yourself.
Sue xx