Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 03-03-2010, 04:05 PM

Default Sanity Check!

Hi Everyone, I am new to this so please forgive me if I am not doing this correctly. My almost 12 year old daughter has just been diagnosed with juvenile idiopathic double major thoracolumbar scoliosis at 78 lumbar and 66 thoracic. We have been told surgery is the only option and very soon (few weeks). Whilst we are still trying to get this sorted in our heads and remain calm, I have lots of questions and am hoping that someone has had a similar situation and can tell me its all going to be just fine. I need to know what the recovery is like, can she do stairs, will she have any flexibility at all and what therapies help post surgery? I'm open to all information!

Thanks,
Anne
Old 04-03-2010, 08:38 PM

Smile Re: Sanity Check!

Hi Anne,
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to' hear' about your daughter. If you have any questions, please ask. I had surgery myself in June last year and therefore may be able to answer questions based on my experience. I had T11-S1
posterior and L4/5-L5/S1 anterior.
Do you know what levels thet are looking at fusing?
There are a couple of mums and daughters on here that had ops in December last year. Hopefully you may hear from them. Take care.

PS. What state do you live in?
Old 05-03-2010, 11:38 AM

Default Re: Sanity Check!

Hi, thanks for replying! I don't have all the jargon down yet and we don't have the surgical plan but the initial discussion was on T3 to L3 at best and possibly lower. Posterior and anterior options for surgery are still undecided pending scans and bending x-ray results. We are in NSW.

Anne
Old 05-03-2010, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Sanity Check!

I feel sorry for any parent seeing their children through this surgery, it must be much harder than going through it yourself. But the kids do so much better than us "mature aged!"

Once you've got more details, you'll be able to formulate some questions and hopefully one or more of us will be able to give you some answers, based on our own experience. Welcome to the forum!
Old 05-03-2010, 03:33 PM

Smile Re: Sanity Check!

Hi Anne, have a read of the 'Hi Everyone' thread. We had discussions on there in regards to surgery etc. As Jen said, write up all your questions on here, and with about 80 people on this forum, you might get little insights from everywhere.

Jen,
You springchicken! What;s with the 'mature aged' jargon? You're not mature aged until you hit 90, but then again i do know of at least 1, 97 year old spring chicken! hahaha