Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 10-02-2015, 02:06 PM

Default 2 months POST OP

It feels so weird to write "2 months POST OP" in the title bar because it is just hard to believe that 2 months ago, I was having my operation! I thought the date would never come and then all of a sudden, I am on the other side of surgery! I remember waking up in ICU and feeling so incredibly happy knowing that my op was done and dusted. Also a bonus of my op, I made a new friend... I am not sure of my correction yet as I didn't get xrays at post op appt but when I do know, you will know.

I am feeling so good now! My surgeon was extremely happy with my correction and said that I was doing really well! After two weeks post op, we took my big bandage off and put a dressing on that helped reduce scarring. The dressing was porous and really didn't do anything other than to hold the scar together so it healed effectively! From that day, I was in the pool slowly walking around and putting my back under the shower! It felt wonderful!! My time at home was alot of sitting around and lying down but I always walked around because I felt better! About 3 weeks post-op, I went for my first shopping outing and was there for an hour before my back started aching... Plus it didn't help that I went during Boxing Day Sales! I continued to build up my shoppig trip outings and gained more strength...

At two months, I am pretty much back to normal... I am back to work, starting university in a couple of weeks, and going to try and go back to gym and start ballet classes soon! My sleep is still pretty lousy... but not because of my back. I find I am having lots of trouble with my legs... they seem a bit restless... I also unfortunately had a bit of trouble with my bladder. I managed to have a UTI which is not fun. I was vomiting and had stomach cramps and had the strongest urge to pee but little came out.. These symptoms would come very quickly and fade away... I went to the doctor and he said it was most likely from my catheter from the op.. He gave me antibiotics and I am as good as new! I also watched Thriller Live! at QPAC and the Asian Cup quarter finals at Suncorp when I went for my post op checkup in Brisbane.

So I guess the jist of this update is to tell you all that I am doing wonderful! A few problems but they are fixable and so don't worry. I hope you are all well and I thank you all for being so supportive during my pre-op time. The waiting is the worst and so don't fret! I will post another update at the 6 month mark!!!!

Jade
Old 10-02-2015, 04:00 PM
Annette

Default Re: 2 months POST OP

Well done my op is on 16th March in Melbourne and I am so frightened. Thankyou for your story it means a lot to me. What advice can you give to help with the hospital stay and clothes etc?
I am 50 years old and have a 50 degree lumbar curve. I will be fused T11 - L3. Did you have anterior or exterior surgery ?
Sorry for all the questions but its wonderful to know other people with the same problem.

Thanks
Annette
Old 11-02-2015, 11:45 AM

Hi Annette!

I sent you a private message answering your questions!

Jade
Old 15-02-2015, 09:05 PM

Glad to hear you are up and about after a relatively short time Jade - told you showering would be a treat - I still enjoy getting my back pummeled by the water! Pity about the few setbacks - the restless legs are quite common I believe. You sound great! Keep going strong. X