Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 23-04-2014, 01:47 PM

Default Surgery on 5th may

Our surgery date is 5th May. We are flying down around the 1st for pre op appointments etc. Any hints on the best way to cope for the first week or so? Did anyone experience an improvement in other ongoing health issues that may have been further compromised by the scoliosis?
Cheers
Old 23-04-2014, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Surgery on 5th may

Mum, you and your family need to stay strong for support. As your son will be looked after by the nursing staff, you will need to take care of yourself/selves as your son will require your strength when he gets home. Make sure you eat well and sleep well. Regarding your pre-op appointments, start making a list now of questions you would like answered. Ask anything that will make you and your family cope better in helping your son during his recovery. The more information you have on board, the more confident you will feel. If you have any specific questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Best wishes, RB

PS My right lung was apparently operating at a 50% capacity before surgery, but improved back to normal after.
Old 23-04-2014, 04:49 PM

Good luck with your sons surgery
Old 23-04-2014, 09:01 PM

Hi Robyn,
My daughter found having her IPod with her was wonderful for those long nights in hospital and a distraction too. She was lucky to have a boyfriend texting her to keep up her morale. if your son has friends that can text then that really helps connect to the outside world. the nursing staff let me do much of my daughter's care after the second day and it is important that you,learn to do this so you are prepared for turning, positioning pillows etc when you get home. Also ask about the side effects of when you are weaning your son Off the meds ( obviously this happens much later than the first week) because I don't think I was told enough about this and it does cause interesting side effects like mood swings and sleeplessness.
Good luck for your son's surgery.
Old 24-04-2014, 11:31 AM

Hi Robyn,
My daughter goes in next week (Wed 30th) for her operation so we are going through the same concerns etc. as you at the moment. She had her pre-surgery workup the other day. We were told the scoliosis has mildly compromised her lung function. Which will not return to normal even after op.

While in the hospital we are taking the laptop so movies can be watched or games played, if she is up to it... Luckily we only live 1.5hrs away from the hospital so my husband can bring any extra things we forget...

I will let you know how my daughter goes next week & pass on any info I find useful. All the best to you & son for his op, hope all goes well!
Regards
Tiffany
Old 25-04-2014, 11:57 AM

Hi Ambers Mum, just wanted to wish your daughter a very successful surgery and a swift recovery. Will be thinking of you both. Best wishes, RB
Old 27-04-2014, 10:22 AM

Thank you everyone. And Tiffany I will be thinking about you and your daughter. Keep us posted please
Old 27-04-2014, 02:58 PM

Best wishes to Robyn and Tiffany and children for their surgeries.
The kids mostly just need you to be there and be their mum! I'm sure you are both very good at that! The hospital will handle the rest!
Will be thinking of you both, Liz.