Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 07-02-2014, 07:36 PM

Default New- surgery 3 days ago

Hi, my daughter had Surgery on Tuesday. T3 to L4. The doctors were pleased with the operation. She was 2 days in High Dependancy Unit and now has moved to a ward. She has been in a lot of pain and they say it is a fine line between giving them enough pain relief to be comfortable and not too much to be knocked out as she needs to get her lung function up.
She had a corset fitted this morning and the physio has got her to to sit and to stand (twice today) She is in a lot of pain doing this.Hopefully she will improve each day. I have posted this in the <18 however she has just turned 18.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:24 PM

Default Re: New- surgery 3 days ago

HI there, My daughter had T2-L4 ...its a huge operation they have been through ... I think the first 3 days are the worst and then each day that follows you will see improvement. It's tough being the mum and watching your daughter in pain (I had to leave the room a few times when they were getting my girl up for the first times).

Best of luck for a speedy recovery.

Sarah
Old 10-02-2014, 03:03 PM

Hi Fran,
Stay strong and look after yourself so you can be strong for your daughter. I have been there too and you wonder at the time if it is all worth it but it definitely is! We are 12 months on and things are extremely normal! Seems a distant memory and even less so for my son who hardly remembers hospital and recovery time.
Best wishes, Liz.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:00 PM

Hi Fran,
Ditto to these replies. We are now 6 months post surgery (T4 - L2) and apart from a scar on his back, you would not know just by looking at him, that he had undergone spinal surgery last year. The first few days are a blur, the first week or so is tough for everyone, but progress is rapid .. unbelievably so, for such a major operation. The strength of character shown by my son amazed me and still does ... stay strong and keep positive. It will be over in the blink of an eye
Old 13-02-2014, 01:21 AM

Hi and thanks for all your support. We are now 8 days post op and in hospital rehab. She is up walking a bit without a frame and still needs regular pain relief. Every day she is improving and hopefully home on the weekend. Could anyone recommend a certain type of mattress topper - memory foam or latex?
Old 13-02-2014, 08:32 AM

Hi Fran

I bought a mattress topper from Harvey Norman after my surgery...it is memory foam, which I think is latex. It has the egg carton top and has lots of holes in the rubber/foam so that air circulates. I love it as it does make me more comfortable around sore pressure spots.
Old 13-02-2014, 05:23 PM

My son didn't use a mattress topper. He did sleep with several soft pillows though, to support his back when lying on his side and between his legs. He also found the easiest type of chair to sit in, once home was a typical office-type/computer desk chair, which he could sit in for lengthy periods with a pillow behind him for support. Best wishes for the rest of the journey
Old 14-02-2014, 05:37 PM

Glad to hear she is making progress and I'm sure will improve even more once she is home.

My daughter didn't need a mattress topper (but we did by her a new bed last year so it was a nice supportive one anyway). She found the most comfortable chair was a lazy-boy recliner type one.

Wishing you both well with her recovery.
Old 18-02-2014, 01:16 AM

Thanks for your support and advice. My daughter is now home and is 13 days post surgery.The extra few days in rehab made a difference. Funny how you count the days. She is walking and moving much more now and everyday an improvement. She still has pain and hopefully we can get that under control. The corset is a bit of a hassle, taking it off when lying down and putting it on when sitting and walking. Anyway only 10 weeks to go with that and it will benefit her.
Old 20-02-2014, 12:43 AM

I found the phsio at hospital just gave a sheet of some exercises to go home with. Apart from being told about a follow med app in a few weeks and that the waitlist for physio at any hospital has long waiting lists and to go private at some stage ( we will) they don't tell you what they can and cannot do. We were told no driving or lifting heavy things but apart from that it's been a bit vague. Has any one else experienced this?