Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 18-01-2014, 03:45 PM

Default Good news - life after spinal fusion

My 13-year-old daughter had a T4-L1 fusion for a rapidly deteriorating 70 degree thoracic curve in June last year.
She is a competitive swimmer, competing at a national level and training up to seven times a week before her surgery.
She had 10 weeks out of the pool following her surgery and then another few months of not using her arms at training.
In early December, she was given the all clear to resume 100% normal training.
This morning, she competed in, and won, a 2.5km open water swim.
She tells me she feels 100% normal, has no residual pain from the surgery and does not notice the fused part of her back.
I know I loved reading stories like this in the lead up to her surgery so I am posting this in the hope it will give others some comfort in the lead up to their own children's surgery. I always said I wished I had known what a great recovery my daughter was going to have. It would have saved A LOT of worry before her operation.
I wish everyone a similar fantastic outcome for their children.
Old 18-01-2014, 08:41 PM

Default Re: Good news - life after spinal fusion

Shan,
Thank you for sharing your story. My 11 year old daughter will be embarking on the surgery journey in March and it is so good to hear all the positive posts. My daughter's curve has been moving very quickly, it has been 6 months since we saw the surgeon so I don't know for sure where she's at. We were due for surgery late last year but got moved to this year. We have our fingers crossed that it does not get postponed again. The waiting is so hard. It feels like we have got our lives on hold.
Old 19-01-2014, 07:24 PM

Thanks for sharing Shan. I was telling my Miss 14 today about your daughters' fantastic return to open water and gold medal and she was amazed. Our sincere congrats to you and your daughter and I hope that we will be able to share our good news swim stories in 6 months time :-)
Sarah
Old 19-01-2014, 10:18 PM

I am sure she will, Sarah. And if she ever wants to compete in Adelaide, you have a place to stay here. Crossing everything for her revision.

Leebri, waiting is so hard and it's so good to be on the other side. You'll be here offering advice/support to others before you know it.
Old 20-01-2014, 02:44 AM

Wow it seems so many of the girls making amazing recoveries are swimmers. it doesn't surprise me. to be a competitive swimmer requires patience, determination. And guts.....just the qualities our kids show when they endure and then recover from their major surgery. my daughter was open champion girls swimmer at school and then runner up at the big inter school competition and I know others who are swimming at state level and doing well post surgery . I hope everyone posts their good news because as a parent facing the surgery it is stories such as these that inspire those who wait with uncertainty. We promised our daughter a recovery puppy as something g to look forward to after surgery and she had 8 gorgeous puppies just before Christmas (planned) . 18 months down the track life is good and I am so thankful that the surgery is well and truly behind us. have a great 2014 everyone...especially the awesome e kids who inspire us so much!
Old 20-01-2014, 08:38 AM

Cool I was a swimmer
Old 04-11-2014, 11:29 PM

I wish I was a swimmer! Still having to go through surgery but without that swimming experience.... Scoliosis did impair me though. It leaves me with shortness of breath and very difficult to do swimming when you can't breathe outside of the water!
Old 30-11-2014, 07:10 PM

Following on from this, today, 18 months after surgery, my daughter swam her first ever Australian Open qualifying time in a 5km open water swim. She will now travel to Perth in February to compete at the Australian championships. All with a fused spine! No holding these kids back.