Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 14-10-2013, 11:40 PM

Default Countdown is on...and nerves are building.

11 days until Miss 16 has her surgery and I am starting to see signs of her nerves, tears twice in two days....Just want it done already!
Old 16-10-2013, 06:35 PM

Default Re: Countdown is on...and nerves are building.

The anticipation about what's ahead is the worst part about the whole thing! Time will fly and before you know it, everything will be back to normal. 8 weeks post-op my son is back at school and catching the train most days. Keep smiling, keep strong and know that it's all over in a blink of an eye
Old 17-10-2013, 07:43 AM

Nerves are normal. I always say I wish I had know how easy my daughter's recovery was going to be before the surgery. It would have saved much worry!
Four months post op and my daughter has just been cleared to travel to Melbourne in December to compete in a swimming competition. She suffers no ill effects from the surgery.
If you need to actually talk to someone, message me and I'll pass on my number. Xx
Old 21-10-2013, 12:40 PM

Thanks for the words of reassurance ladies....I just want it done already...lol
Well...this is it...surgery week, can't believe in just a few days it will be all over and our new journey of recovery starts
Can anyone give some advice about what she will be capable of in about week 4 post op as we have my nieces wedding and I am not sure if I will need to make special arrangements for my daughter for seating etc.
Old 21-10-2013, 08:07 PM

I'm sure its different for everyone, but my son was only able to sit in a padded computer chair at 4 weeks, and even now at 8 weeks he struggles to sit in typical dining-type chairs for long periods. I would certainly take a pillow for her to put behind her back, and be prepared for her to tire quickly. My son was still on the strong meds at 4 weeks too.
Good luck this week. Our thoughts are with you.
Old 22-10-2013, 01:43 AM

Best wishes for the surgery, scary business!
I think you should let your niece know that you will have to wait until last minute to see what your daughter is up to. Even short car journeys can be difficult, but standing and walking not too bad. Leave it till last minute and even attending for a short time may be enough. Hope it all goes well.
Liz
Old 22-10-2013, 07:43 AM

I think I would be super prepared for the wedding to make her as comfy as possible when she becomes too sore. Weddings can be exhuasting for even the fittest as the day is usually a long one.

Take a few pillows can pad her chair out. Some chairs at functions and reception venues can be awfully uncomfortable! I would probably find out if there is going to be a rest area so if she gets to the point she needs to lay down, she can. And take a snuggly blanket too.

I am sure your niece would be happy to find out about what the venue is going to be like for your daughter. Knowing most brides, she would know it inside and out!

All the best for the big day. Your daughter has lots of exciting times ahead!
Old 22-10-2013, 09:54 AM

Pretty sure at the four-week mark my daughter was still sitting with a pillow behind her back almost all the time and needed to sit or lay down if she'd been on her feet for too long.
Good luck for surgery day. You and your daughter will be in my thoughts.
Old 22-10-2013, 10:27 PM

You guys are the BEST!!!! With all your help, advice and comforting words you bring a tear to my eye. I am sure Friday will be a very long day while she is in surgery, but we will try to make the most of it and go exploring Randwick on foot. As for the wedding we are thinking of putting a computer chair and some pillows in the back of the car in case she needs it and the blanket and place to lie down is a great idea Christine, thanks for that I will check with my niece about rooms available.
I am sure to be on here Friday or soon after soooooo fingers crossed and I'll see you all on the flipside
Thanks again to you all <3 <3<3
Old 25-10-2013, 08:07 AM

My thoughts are with you for today. Won't be long and you'll join the rest of us offering support to others. Xx