Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Brace management

Old 14-07-2013, 02:30 PM

Default Curve change with brace

It was always my understanding that the boston brace would either stop a curve from progressing, slow down the progression or make no difference at all. I was recently surprised that having only worn the brace for six months or so that my daughters curve went from 34degrees to 21degrees. The orthatist thinks that maybe it was partially postural when at 34degrees and having worn the brace tightly and for recommended hours a day has her standing straighter. Has anyone else had results like this? We are still having to brace (getting measured for a new one in 2 weeks) and will have next x ray in Jan, so it will be interesting to see.

Veronica
Old 19-07-2013, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Curve change with brace

My daughter's curve went from 45 degrees to 15 degrees in just 3 months of wearing the Gomez brace (similar to boston brace). I think if she took the brace off the curve will decline again, so she isn't cured. But she does have about 2% growth left in her and she is also doing daily schroth exercises too. Hopefully the brace will be enough to prevent surgery.
Old 22-07-2013, 07:12 AM

Default Re: Curve change with brace

Thanks Fortydegrees,

It's good to know that there is someone else having success with a brace. We still have 18 months-2 years left f bracing. If we can avoid surgery that would be awesome as our daughter has other issues going on & surgery especially the recovery period would be very difficult.

Veronica