Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adults > Non-surgical management

Old 20-05-2013, 01:56 PM

Default Foam Wearables

Dear Scoliosis Patron,

I am currently a design student at UNSW, College of Fine Arts, and am doing a project that looks at alleviating some of the lumbar discomforts of scoliosis patients when in seating position on backed chairs. In looking at this, I am hoping to redesign a wearable and would like any insights or suggestions on how I might develop my concepts further.

I am thinking of incorporating into the clothing :
Concealed lightweight padding such as soft rubber or foam that adapts comfortably to the human body that acts as cushion when leant against hard surfaces. One material example is high memory thermoreactive polyurethane.

Any comments would be appreciative.
Kind regards
M
Old 20-05-2013, 09:29 PM

Default Re: Foam Wearables

Hi Marcia

Thank-you for coming to the forum.
My 13 year old daughter was diagnosed with scoliosis (minor at the moment) in February.
For as long as I can remember, she has come home from school with what appears to be bruising along her lower spine from sitting in the school chairs. We had discussed putting a cushion in a bag that hangs on the chair back - but that was deemed too difficult and uncool, especially now she is at high school and changing classrooms every lesson.
We love the idea of something wearable.
These are a few of our ideas/suggestions:
An undergarment would be best - then an existing wardrobe remains functional.
It should fit snugly to prevent chafing and help it be 'invisible'.
The main area of contact with chairs is the lower back (for my daughter at least).
Because we live in Queensland and it gets quite hot in summer, this needs to be taken into account for a summer version.
For those who have had surgery, their may be different requirements.
Best wishes with your assignment and congratulations on choosing something that can make a difference.
Feel free to ask more questions through the forum. I try to check it once a day.
Let us know on the forum when you have something we could try or buy. Happy to be 'guinea pig' and give feedback.

Regards
Carol
Old 24-05-2013, 08:43 PM

Hoping some other forum members might respond to Marcia.
Old 29-05-2013, 12:32 PM

Not too sure on what to say ( I'm a newbie), but good on ya Marcia...I doubt you'll have any difficulty in finding guinea pigs. I can't really help with any suggestions..I just hurt from head to toe, but anybody who is trying to find a way to ease others suffering (understatement) then Bless You!