Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 02-10-2012, 08:33 PM

Smile Hi from a newcomer!

Hi there,
This is my first post on this wonderful forum though I have been following many threads for several months. My 11 year old daughter is due to have surgery (T5-L1 fusion) on 16th October...her curves are 64 and 33. Our family has slowly come to terms with it all, after going through every emotion possible...we know now that the surgery is the best option for her and thankfully we are in the hands of a wonderful surgeon.
It's all a bit mind boggling, but I'm so glad to have such great information at hand on this forum. We are trying to take things a day at a time (more like a minute at a time!) and are looking forward to when this is all over and done with. Just wanted to say hi and connect...I'm sure we'll have many questions over the coming weeks and months.
Helen
Old 03-10-2012, 07:03 AM

Default Re: Hi from a newcomer!

Welcome Helen

Best wishes for your daughters surgery. I am sure you have made the right decision because I know it was the best decision I have ever made for my self. Keep us updated on your daughters progress as we will all be thinking of you on the day of surgery. The time leading up to this is the worst time but you all will get there x
Rosie
Old 04-10-2012, 10:41 AM

Welcome to the forum Helen. All the best to you and your daughter on her upcoming surgery. If you or your daughter have any questions, please feel free to ask.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:11 PM

Thanks so much for the lovely support I do have a question relating to the problem I've heard about constipation after the surgery. I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to give my daughter metamucil (or similar) a few days before the surgery. Any recommendations for a particular product that is good? I've heard that movocol is good, but would love to get some more feedback.
Thanks!
Helen
Old 04-10-2012, 04:42 PM

Hi Helen

I wouldn't go trying too much before surgery as it may add too much bulk to her belly and she may be worse off. Ideally, using your bowels is held off for a few days.

It is after surgery that the constipation becomes a word you use daily and you need some help!

The initial constipation issues i.e. about day four after surgery are pretty awful and not very dignified but we all go through it, with great relief!!! Coloxyl with Senna was recommended by my surgeon for the first week out of hospital, along with the Osmolax. I works brilliantly. It is a soft white powder you mix with water and I had no tummy cramps or bloating.Then Osmolax only until I finally came off morphine. That is the constipation culprit, so when your daughter is off the meds it sorts itself out with a good diet and a bit of walking.

A note on Metamucil - in my old life I worked in Pharmacy for 20 years, and it was one of those products you had to be careful with as it can work the other way if you take too much. And it swells up in your belly...

All the best for your daughter's surgery. And for you and family too!

Christine x
Old 05-10-2012, 02:15 PM

Thanks for the tip, Christine. It's always to good to get people's personal experiences...googling can be a good thing but can also be completely overwhelming...so hard to sift through the good information from the bad. We've been researching scoliosis for a long time now but I think this forum has been the most useful for "helpful" information
Old 06-10-2012, 11:52 AM

Smile Re: Hi from a newcomer!

HI Helen, have you read the Book by David Wolpert. Jen kindly donated it to the forum a while ago. I don't know who has it at the moment, but, we could certainly find out (will post new thread). It is a truly valuable Scoliosis reference book based on a patients journey. When finished, you ae invited to sign your name in the book.
With regards to constipation, you are not allowed to eat anything until they hear 'bowel sounds'. I was warned about the meds and constipation and ordered only soups, yoghurts etc to hopefully help me to no avail. They gave me Microlax in hospital and Movicol for home. The problem is that the meds dry your system out no matter how much you drink. I went through a couple of days of protein shakes with flaxmeal as well. I came off all meds on day 15 post op and was happy that simply eating 2 kiwi fruit per day helped. Oh the memories.....
Have a great weekend!
Old 07-10-2012, 09:30 PM

Thanks Rodverta (I only just got the joke in your name What a hoot!)
I appreciate your info about the constipation also...so many things to think about right now, my mind is just boggling and I just want to get the 16th over and done with. My dear little girl is starting to feel worried about it now that time is getting closer which I know is completely natural.
That book you mentioned sounds great - I haven't heard of it before but would love to get hold of a copy of it. Will keep a check on the forum and will also look externally for it in the meantime.
Cheers,
Helen
Old 15-10-2012, 09:01 PM

Hi Helen,
You probably won't see this beforehand now but from one mum to another you and your daughter will be in my thoughts. You have some long days ahead of you but you will get there and we look forward to hearing about another good surgery result.
Annette
Old 23-10-2012, 08:55 AM

Hi Helen,

My 15 year old daughter had T4 to L4 surgery on the 21st June. It is now 4 months and she is doing really well. Its been a long, hard 4 months trying to deal with pain and emotions. She is an elite basketballer and the biggest thing i have had to deal with is her not playing her beloved sport, but we are getting there. She is hanging out for the 21st December where she goes for her 6 months check up to get the go ahead that she can start playing again. The hardest part for me as her mother was the lead up to the surgery. So many things running through my head and just the worry that everything would go all right.

As summer is approaching i have another thing to deal with. Daniella told me last week that she does not want to go to the beach or go to a pool where there are going to be lots of people. She also told me that she will be wearing a t-shirt at all times during summer. This is really hard to deal with when you have a daughter who loves the beach and water. She does not want anyone to see her big scar.

Its going to be tough getting her to put on a swim suit but i think i've been through tougher things in the the 4 months and things will be fine.

I have the book you are after so if you inbox me your details i will post it out to you. Good luck with everything.