Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 14-11-2009, 01:01 PM

Smile

HI All,
Your words Jo, that you were shocked and devastated is exactly how we felt too. It is not that I didn't know about Scoliosis (a friend many years ago had a daughter diagnosed, but it wasn't severe), but as Lauren was maturing, (a bit later than some girls) I just didn't notice the hips, shoulder blade etc as she was always covered up. Even swimming, my kids have always worn sunshirts, so that too hid the problem. Yes, if they still had checks in the schools like we did many years ago, this may have been noticed a lot earlier.
As far as asking questions ... I guess I just want to know what we can possibly do to make everything as comfortable as possible for Lauren when she comes home. I am assuming that in the early weeks, lying around in bed most of the time would be expected? I was hoping when the Doctor sent out info to us it might have included some info about returning home after the op, but there was nothing. I thought that seeing there are many young people going through this, it would be good to be given an information booklet. What to expect, like handling dressing, showers etc. Any thoughts?
Bye for now,
Judy
Old 15-11-2009, 12:47 AM

Smile

Hi all,
Most time is spent in bed. In fact my surgeon said, "if you are not walking, you should be lying in bed". Sitting is not allowed for more than 10 minutes (or just enough to have something to eat-check with surgeon, they all differ).
If your dressing was removed in hopital and all is well, you can shower. Someone must be nearby, when your in the shower. Due to the pain medications being so strong it is advisable in case of dizziness, sometimes assistance may be needed for hair washing. Assistance maybe required drying (back or hair) and dressing (underwear etc). No heavy lifting, twisting or bending. Appetite may be little, to keep up strength, I took whey protein smoothies. Drugs can upset you bowels (constipation). Prune juice, stewed apples or fibresure in the smoothies can be helpful. If all else fails, try coloxyl.
No sitting in sofa chair or any type of slouchy chair. A chair with armrests (if you have one) is very handy. A toilet raiser seat. These two items are handy because the leg muscles become very weak. A couple of grabbers just in case something falls on the floor and you need to pick it up. My mind has gone blank now, will post again if i remember more.
Old 15-11-2009, 09:40 AM

Hi,
What about a recliner. We are thinking of getting one for Gabby.
Thanks.
Old 15-11-2009, 09:41 AM

Hi Judy,
I have sent you a PM.
Donna.
Old 15-11-2009, 11:06 AM

Smile

Hi Donna,
Iwas looking forward to using my recliner (new modular delivered just before surgery has three), but was told I couldn't. I told them, that it reclines pratically into a bed, but they still said it was not a good idea. My advice would be to check with your surgeon or speak to the PT at the hospital you are going to. I was looking forward to playing games and watching Fox during recovery - ah well, its all good now! By the way Donna, what levels are being fused? Have a great day!
Old 15-11-2009, 01:17 PM

Hi,
Thank for the info re lying in bed. How long did that last for? We are considering buying a table on castors for Lauren so she can sit and have meals in bed/play games etc. Looks like the 'games' might be out for a while.
Lying around in bed, especially in summer will be rather hot! Lauren doesn't have an air conditioner in her room. I guess she could go in our room during the day if the days are too hot.
The grabbers sound like a good idea. Where do you get that sort of thing?
FYI Lauren is having a T5 to L3.
Regards,
Judy
Old 15-11-2009, 03:39 PM

Hi Judy,
You wont believe this but that is exactly the levels Gabby is having.
Her curves are 58 and 54.

So what about a lounge chair. Just laying flat on a 3 seater, i mean.?
We were kinda hoping our rumpus room, which has an aircon. would be like her recovery room.

I thought I would check out a couple of chemists for a grabber.

Donna
Old 15-11-2009, 04:15 PM

Smile

Hi Donna & Judy,

The lying in bed lasts for at least 6 weeks, which is about when you see your surgeon for a post-op visit. He will then advise you further.

As for the grabbers, you can purchase them from Bunnings for about $10?
Mine is called - Craftright pickup and reaching tool.

As for the lounge chair, personally I would think it great, however I never asked due to the fact they said no to the recliner. I think its more to do with the fact that your body sinks into it.

The trolley would be a great idea, however, I was told to not sit in bed to eat, but to perch on the side of the bed, so as to keep a lumbar lordosis. I am fused T11-S1 and am not allowed yet to sit at a 45 degree angle, which is what sitting up in bed would be. Once again check this out with the discharge nurse or surgeon.

Thanks
Vali
Old 18-11-2009, 11:17 AM

Hi girls.
Thanks for all your after-care tips. Thinking of moving my eldest daughter out of her downstairs room to make way for Alex. It has aircon and a TV perched up on a stand - hopefully she'll be able to watch it whilst lying down all day ! Besides it's near my home office and not too far away from the all important kitchen ! We take for granted the fact the kids can just run here and there and it will be a task to try and get things comfortable for Alex so that she's not stressed out anymore than necessary. I agree that there should be an aftercare booklet provided. I'm going to follow up on this with the hospital and see if we can't get this done for future patients.
thanks for all your insights it's much appreciated.
JO
Old 18-11-2009, 03:28 PM

Smile

Hi Jo,

You may find that the hospital may in fact already have a booklet. The hospital i went to gave me a booklet at my pre-admin appt, one week before the big day. ................Hospital Patient Pathway - Spinal Fusion - Anterior/Posterior. This gave me a day by day account of what was going to happen post-op in regards to excercises I was expected to do hourly, when the physio was coming in, the surgeon visits, when the dressings come off - I'm sure you get the gist.
On discharge - another booklet was given to me entitled - Discharge Information for patients who have undergone spinal fusion. I was also given a two page instructional sheet by my surgeon, with the required fields filled out specifically for my care at home.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.