Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 11-10-2011, 03:21 PM

Question beginners questions

With surgery for our 14 yo daughter 12 weeks away, we have a million questions. She has a double curve in the high 70's. My question is how do we get her home. We live 500 km from Sydney and are spending 2 weeks in Sydney, 1 while she is in hospital, the other afterwards for her to have some recuperation time. Has anyone travelled that distance by car a week after surgery? Or should we be flying home?
Old 11-10-2011, 09:12 PM

Default Re: beginners questions

Our 13yr old girl had spinal surgery on 20th July this year and getting her home was one of my concerns causing anxiety. She had three curves two of which were over 80 degrees and the third was over 50 degrees - no small event! We live in the hills and I was really concerned about the journey home.
You will be amazed at what they can achieve in such a short space of time. The hospital will ensure you have the right medication at the right time to maximise pain coverage for the trip. In addition we had a hospital support person allocate to us who if we needed was able to find alternative arrangements. As it turned out our girl was able to go up and down stairs with no issues before leaving the hospital (we have steep stairs from the carport to the front door). I looked into ambulance to transport her only to find our extras cover only covers emergency ambulances however normal ambulance cover does cover non emergency transport but I beleive you need the surgeon to fill out forms. I remember reading lots about satin pillowcases and sheets to help slide her in and out of the car easily and have the front seat lowered to ease the gravity aspect. I have heard some people have organised for other hospitals along the route to be ready just in case you need to pop in. It is a common concern and really causes alot of anxiety..... You are on a rollercoaster of emotions right now its not easy but it is soo worth it once you get to the other side of the surgery. Good luck
Old 11-10-2011, 09:19 PM

Hi My son's surgery is next week we live about 1000km from Bris. We were advised to stay in Bris for 10 days after surgery then we will fly home. It will be 1/2 hour drive to airport prob 1 hour at airport 1 1/2 hours to fly home and another half hour drive nearly 4 hours. I will let you know in a month how we go.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:05 AM

After I was discharged I had a half hour ride to the airport, an hour wait, then an hour flight and another half hour before we were finally home. I managed somehow and it was probably due to the pain killers, but it was not as bad as I had expected. I did book a more roomier seat at the front of the plane though which was nice. Lots of pillows are a must!
Old 12-10-2011, 08:13 AM

Thanks Christine, do you think my daughter could travel 500 km in a car one week after the operation, or still fly?
Old 12-10-2011, 09:00 AM

So that is 5 hours plus a bit more with stops to move and stretch your legs?

Personally I would fly. Although I would think that your total transit/flying time will still be a few hours so it may not save so much time. You know, once you are in the car and on your way, home is not that far. Maybe if the vehicle you have is large and comfy enough you could pop a mattress in there somewhere so you could stop and let her have a lie down during the breaks? A bit far fetched, and the weather would have to be good, but all I wanted to do was to be horizontal. I was lucky that I had access to the Virgin Lounge and sprawled out on a couch during my hour long wait to board.

The bumps and turns in the road were a bit tricky too. I was asking the taxi driver to take it easy around corners and go slow when approaching a stop. Good suspension is a must.

I wouldn't expect that your daughter could even manage to lie on the back seat for a rest as there is no way she would be able to get into position. It is very hard to manoeuvre a post-op body! She will feel like a beached whale.

Mind you, after saying all of that, after 2 weeks she may be more than ready to travel by car. And I am an oldie! At her age she may bounce back fast and be more than ready for the long drive. Talk to her and see what she would be ok with.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:01 PM

Hi there,

One of the mothers I am in contact with said that the surgeon organised an ambulance for them. They were a couple of hours away too. Check your insurance cover to make sure that the ambulance service is covered.
Old 13-10-2011, 07:35 PM

Hi,
I only had a 2 hour car ride from where I had my surgery, and I slept most of the way home so it was fine. If you do choose to go by car, prepare to have lots of pillows, good suspension, and breaks every now and then. However, if the road is likely to have bumps/potholes, I would not be going by road because they are painful, even weeks afterwards. Although when you are asleep you don't notice them... I hoped this helped a little, and if you have any more questions, just message me!
Good luck
Georgia
Old 13-10-2011, 07:47 PM

Smile Re: dancing

Thanks to all those who answered regarding getting my daughter home. Are there any dancers out there who have had surgery. My daughter does Jazz and Contempory, can she get back into dance with time? Or is her flexibility too compromised? She will have 2 verterbrae unfused at the base of the spine.
Old 15-10-2011, 08:06 PM

I dont dance, but I play netball and so I have to do a bit of twisting/lunging/bending and I can do that without any problem. I had T6-T12 fused, and I can touch my toes. I know mine is probably different from your daughter's, but I think she should be fine, as I have heard of other dancers having the surgery then going back to normal. I have been told I can do anything that I want to do except for maybe bungee jumping. Hope this helps