Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 16-06-2011, 03:24 PM

Smile We have a Date!!

Hi everyone,
We finally have a date for Rachael's surgery - 12th October!
She is so pleased - I showed her the much awaited letter and she promptly burst into tears. I think it is a big relief to her (and us) to know it is finally going to happen.
She has a pre-op appt on 19th August. I'll have to start thinking of questions and writing them down.
Sonia xxx
Old 16-06-2011, 07:02 PM

Default Re: We have a Date!!

Hi Sonia,
That is great you have a date, it will seem so long away and then be here before you know it. I am sure many of us would agree that the waiting is the worst.
Annette
Old 16-06-2011, 08:08 PM

Fantastic news Sonia, what a relief for her to have a date! I notice you are in Adelaide, so are we and my son is scheduled for his surgery in August.
Sue
Old 16-06-2011, 08:38 PM

Oh, this is great! We have two more people from Adelaide! I was beginning to think I was all alone here in the very down-under! On a serious note, happy that good news has come your way. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
Old 19-06-2011, 06:47 PM

thanks everyone, sue -I hope your sons surgery goes well, from your description it sounds like we have the same surgeon. We have found him very good and reassuring. It helps to know our kids are in good hands.
In a way I am glad that it is a while to wait - it gives me time to get used to the idea and properly prepared. Even though we know we are doing the right thing it is a scary thing when the reality of what you are allowing them to do to your child sinks in. I know it is for her best in the long term though and so does she.
xx Sonia
Old 25-06-2011, 11:39 PM

Hi Sue and Rach's Mum,
I have a 13 year old daughter, also in Adelaide, and are waiting for the surgery. Since June last year when we discovered she had scoliosis, its gone from reasonably mild to now being three curves top being 46 degrees the middle curve is 85 degrees and the lower curve is 80 degrees with misaligned vertebra......We were under the impression the operation would be April but the date we eventually got is 20th July. Watching the curves change by 20 to 30 degrees every 2-3 months has been scary and as other mothers on here say, the waiting is the worst and I find it torture. I believe long service leave has had something to do with the delay but having said that I have so much faith in the Adelaide surgeons that even though my girl is deteriorating every day and in pain, these surgeons are the best and worth waiting for. We do hydrotherapy twice a week with a physio to keep her strength up and her school bag is on wheels. Her scoliosis is due to a connective tissue disorder called Marfans which also comes with a heart condition and is the reason why it has rapidly progressed. My daughter finds that heat packs sometimes sooth the pain but it has gotten to the point they aretoo heavy and dig in the wrong places. The physio also suggested light massage but she cannot stand to be touched. Feel free to email me. I strongly suggest you read the book that is going around called Scoliosis Surgery - The definitive Patients Reference by David K Wolpert.....it has put me at ease as it makes me feel informed and in control - as much as one can be.
Old 26-06-2011, 09:22 AM

Hi
I have finished with the book which I bought just before my op, happy to send it to you tomorrow if you would like to read it.
Let me know, I am home recovering so looking for things to keep me occupied. Going to the post office offers me a little excitement!
Christine x
Old 26-06-2011, 10:40 AM

Wow, so many of us in Adelaide!
Louise, thank goodness you don't have much longer to wait for your daughter's surgery, what an awful thing, to have to wait so long when she's in pain and you can see it getting worse. I can't wait to hear how she goes.
Christine, I would love to read this book, I will send you a PM with my address, happy to offer you a reason to get out and about!
Sue