Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 05-01-2011, 10:06 PM

Default help in melbourne please

Hello to all,

I just want to say thank you to everybody that spends the time to post here, i have been following for sometime now and all of you are so inspiring, most of my questions have been answered without even one post!

I have a 15yo going in for surgery in 2 weeks. I was wondering if there is anyone from melbourne who can help me with knowledge of surgeons here as i'm not too confident with ours at the moment.

my thoughts and prayers are with all of you

thanks Sue
Old 06-01-2011, 07:00 AM

Default Re: help in melbourne please

Hi Sue,

It's a quiet forum but moreso at the moment. Please hang in there for an answer to your question. We have members from Melbourne and Tassie who may be able to help. Drs. names aren't supposed to be mentioned here but someone may be able to private message you with some advice. Best wishes.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:24 PM

Hello Sue,
I am no help to you personally sorry, being from Newcastle my son had surgery in Sydney. A suggestion though is to ask your surgeon for some contact no's of other children who had the surgery? Ours did this (obviously they were ones who agreed to speak to others) and I had a good chat to another mum. I have to say I had confidence in our surgeons already but it did give reassurance. Also you could make another appointment with your surgeon to ask more questions, you need to feel happy with the hands you are putting your child in.
Will be thinking of you both
Annette
Old 07-01-2011, 11:56 PM

Hi Jen and Doms mum,

thanks for replying to my post, we are seeing the surgeon again next week so I will be asking more questions then, but I'm starting to get really nervous as as surgery draws nearer. I have read a lot of the posts here and everything reassures me that it's the right thing to do, but any quiet moment and the fears and doubt rise up again. I remember one parent saying I would give anything for it to be me rather than my baby (15 but still a baby to me).
Old 09-01-2011, 02:50 PM

Sue,

As an adult facing this surgery, it was very difficult, but thank goodness it was me and not one of my daughters. I am not surprised the tears are close to the surface, this must be the most stressful time of your life. Another couple of weeks and the worst will be over and you'll be looking again at that light at the end of the tunnel and know then, that it's reachable.

Best of luck to you both.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:07 PM

Hi Sue,
It is really tough waiting, I remember absolute panic (me not Dominic) the day before and thinking "I will ring and cancel, why are we doing this?" I won't kid you too, after the surgery you will probably have days where you wonder why you have put her through this. Remember but you are giving her a better, healthier future and once you get through the early days you will be amazed how she bounces back - we are left behind in the recovery process!
Take care Annette
Old 10-01-2011, 07:31 PM

Hi ladies,

It's so nice to be in contact with people who understand and I appreciate all the advice you have to give. My daughter is acting really strangely lately, she can be happy and chirpy one minute and totally quiet the next, she's quite rude to me at times, is the normal teenage behaviour or is it pre surgery jitters or am I overly sensitive? Another question, we live in a two storey home and I'm wondering if I should set up a bed downstairs so we can be together during the day, she thinks she'll be fine on the couch?

thx again
Sue
Old 10-01-2011, 09:53 PM

Hi Sue,
I think you probably have a mix of teenage behaviour and pre surgery worry happening with the moods. Dominic was very quiet leading up to surgery and then got to some days where he talked non stop about it - usually at bed time! Re your two story house- mention it to the physios and they should make sure she is okay with stairs before you go home. I think they do with everyone but once they found out we didn't have any they didn't do much more. The lounge? Dominic couldn't lay on ours for a couple of days then got to a good level of comfort with the remote control in hand! (Ours slopes down a bit so we put a quilt in behind) We found the first couple of days home we were helping him toilet, shower, dress, in and out of bed, he couldn't sit on a dining chair then he just got so much better and independent, hopefully she will be the same. I think it is a case of trying to be prepared but coping with a lot of it as you go along.
All the best Annette
Old 13-01-2011, 10:48 AM

HI Annette,

I asked the surgeon about the lounge too, said it would be fine and that she could go upstairs to rest when she needed. Together with your valuable informatiion, there will be no bed in the living room! School starts 2 weeks after surgery, surgeon suggested daughter should go the first day, even if onle for a few hours, is this possible?
Enough about us, how are you doing? So wonderful to hear that your son is doing well, I hope it continues to be uphill for you all.
Thank you again.
Sue
Old 14-01-2011, 04:58 PM

Hey Sue,
Well if your daughter is 15.... what is the sense in going for a few hours each day.... other than to build up strength as that is the main objective, strength is certainly zapped!!!

I would be phoning the school, telling them the situation and asking for their advice on how they can help out! Is your daughter going into year 9 or 10?
Elysia has just finished year 10... if it was year 11 then I would DEFINATELY be not wanting them to be missing any school, but for year 9 and 10, it's no big deal! With Emailing, teachers can always email assignments etc home. I think Maths and Science would be the big ones that you don't want to miss out on, hard to catch up there if you miss too much.

Your daughter will be fine!!!! Right now.... as I type, Elysia is 3.5 weeks post op her second time around, she's trotting, (not quite running yet) after just bathing her dog in our tub!!!! Her pain has subsided quite a bit in the last few days... I was starting to worry, but it's settling quickly now! No pain meds at all!!! Kids are amazing as always!!!!

Don't be afraid to go to your surgeon with a written list in hand of questions.... don't let them bully you - LOL Sorry Dr S.....but sometimes due to their very busy schedules they can rush you a little. Stand your ground and don't leave till you have your questions answered / reassured!!! Ours was beautiful and even went throught my very LONNNNGGGG list of written questions and answered them all for us!

Good luck, keep us posted, yes it's quiet on here sometimes as not too many members, but keep checking in, we all get back here eventually!!!

Hugs to you and your daughter
Del