Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 30-11-2010, 11:30 PM

Default Re: Countdown to surgery

Have heard from Annette and Dom is loving everyone... High on morphine!!!
I've been emailing Annette and was shocked at Doms cancellation!!
Double shocked today! Elysia was to have surgery today and it was cancelled
Due to UTI!! Please everyone get this checked before surgery as they would
Never had known if not for Elysia telling us!!! Very important not to proceed
With surgery if infection present!
Surgery now maybe 11th December!! Waiting on confirmation!
Old 01-12-2010, 05:06 PM

Smile Re: Countdown to surgery

Hi everyone,
My turn for a break from that hospital room! Dom has done amazingly well. Surgery didn't start until after 5pm Monday and he was in recovery at 10pm as Patricia said loving everyone! Nurses complimented us on his upbringing, he said thankyou every time they came in and hurt him. Docs were really happy, had to do less than they thought (they quoted numbers but they are all gone from my head) basically he is only cut on the bottom half, waiting for x-rays but they think they have gone from 60degrees to 15. All better than we could have hoped for, for all the trauma of cancellation last week I just think we were meant to be at this hospital this week.
So day two, three canulas out, ecg wires off, drain out he just has central line in his neck and catheter. Dizzy and nauseous with low blood pressure and pain killers but had a little to eat today. They have sat him on the side of the bed twice, not enjoyable but part of the process. Tomorrow he will be in a chair. Unfortunately we ended up in adult as paediatrics was full so staff probably not as there for him but good. Anyone heading in soon you do need to take note of times they have rolled them etc as easy for it to get away. I was like a mother bear last night as it had been hours, checking then that the wardsman who was coming to help was trained etc. Lack of sleep doesn't
help.
Thanks to all for support. The buildup is the worst but can't help but be worried. Every day gets better from here.
Annette
Old 02-12-2010, 12:53 AM

Annette, that is absolutely fantastic news. Pass on my best wishes to him for a speedy and uncomplicated recovery. He will be up in no time. Those first days on the edge of the bed ( I so remember that one) are a little draining, especially with low blood pressure, Things do get better. A little mum advice to you Annette - don't forget to look after yourself as well!
Old 02-12-2010, 10:39 AM

Congrats Dom and Annette, it's over! The relief must be amazing. I too remember sitting on the side of the bed and feeling like I was going to pass out, but every day it will get easier with the walking and the sitting. A bit of food should help too, but make sure he doesn't eat too many solids - not good the bowels! if the dizziness continues, they have the option of giving him some extra blood, which they did for me. It helped enormously, within 24hours.

Best wishes for a smooth recovery.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:25 PM

An update... couple of really rough days with nausea and dizziness continuing. Dreadful nurse last night who complicated things "YES, WHAT DO YOU WANT NOW!" is probably not an appropriate response to a child in need (she won't be near him again!) But we are back on track now, he is allowed to eat again, only has the central line in still and miracle this afternoon with well timed meds he walked from the bed to room doorway and back. Amazing to see, (through the tears) so tomorrow will be better. He has gone from "loving everyone" to aggro "when are my meds coming?" but we got a smile again today which was magic.
Can't wait to give him a hug.
Annette
Old 04-12-2010, 11:42 PM

Hi Annette, once again continuing good news. I think you may find that now that he is allowed to eat, the dizziness may go away. Has he had any bloods yet to check his haemoglobin levels. Mine were done on day 2 postop. As for the nurse, i would certainly give the Head Nurse a report. That's just not on. Next time she comes in with an attitude like that - ask her how she would feel if someone treated her the same way after surgery. Have a good weekend and i look forward to the next update.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:50 PM

Good to hear Dom's coming along well - even the grouchiness is normal! I'm with Rodverta, about the bloods, he might need a top up. But hopefully the food will help.

Little story about a nurse I encountered when I was in hospital. I woke an hour before my meds were due, in pain. I hung out watching the clock till 4, hoping they'd come in on the dot with my meds. I was nearly crying by 4 but nobody came. At 20 past 4 I buzzed. Ten minutes later, crying now, I buzzed again. On the third buzz she flew into the room, banging the door against the wall, with this gem: "Every time I make my toast and a cup of tea you can be sure somebody will buzz!" I was gobsmacked. Should have offered to trade places with her.

I also had some excellent nurses, I should add!

Keep up the updates Annette and I hope every day is a little easier for Dom.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:15 PM

Hello Everyone, I am a mum of a 16yr old who is going for thoracic scoliosis surgery on Wed 08/12/10. She was diagnosed by chance while having a routine chest x-ray for chest pain about 2 yrs ago. Charlotte was born with Pulmonary Valve Stenosis. This was corrected when she was 8.5 months old. This heart surgery needs regular yearly check ups. However, she started having chest pain with shortness of breath. We were visiting her Cardiologist when he pointed our attention to the fact that Charlotte had developed Thoracic Scoliosis. On regular 4 monthly check ups we could see the spine slowly bending more out of line on each visit. So the decision was made by Charlotte herself to have the surgery during the summer school holidays. She appeared very grown up about it all and was able to ask all the right questions at our last consultation with the Spinal Surgeon. However, over the last few days, she has refused to talk about the pending day and how she will feel after. As long as I am there for her over the coming days. I am sure she will eventually tell me how she is feeling. I am trying not to show how nervous I am for her. I am a Registered nurse in Emergency but I must say it is different when it's your own daughter because the emotions get the better of you. Even when you know what to expect. I will let you know how we get on over the coming days. I must say, I have found this forum to be most helpful and have appreciated all your experiences so thank you.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:52 PM

Hi Annette, I'm glad to hear of dominic's continual progress, send him my best wishes!
Old 06-12-2010, 07:07 PM

Good luck Charlotte! I am sure you'll do just fine and Mum and the rest of the family will be amazed in the next few weeks!