Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 13-08-2010, 10:43 AM

Default Re: A few questions about scoliosis

Hi
my daughter is 16yrs, we've been seeing our doctor for 2years. Her degrees have gone from 33 to 39 in 12months, we were a little shocked and have been discussing surgery, we will visit doctor again next july and make the decision then. My daughter doesnt have pain yet, Id like to hear from people with similar scoliosis and discuss surgery or not...Thanks we're confused also.
Old 13-08-2010, 01:22 PM

Hi Lorrain,

My daughter had her surgery in Feb 2008, T5-L1, 2 weeks short of her 13th birthday. She too had a big jump in a short time and went from Brace to Surgery in the blink of an eye.

She was 48 degrees at time of surgery. Risser 0. Risser is the number which is given to determine skeleton maturity. This can be read off her x-ray.

We went for the surgery at Risser 0, hoping that her compensatory lumbar curve would sort itself out with a straighter, fused Thoracic. Orginally this worked well, but unfortunately for her, a bit of a rare, unlucky thing, her lumbar could not hold the forces and now has curved with a tilted L2 vertebrae. She's going back for further surgery in Nov for fusion of L2 and L3 vertebrae.

I guess, you've still got plenty of time to contemplate things, but what I would be really interested to know as a a parent is exactly what her Risser number is. 4-5 being almost completed growing.

Ask anything you like and I will give you my personal experience, but remember everyone is different, no two cases alike.

Cheers
Trish
Old 13-08-2010, 02:00 PM

Thanks Trish
I cant believe you answered me so quick. Im at work now, I'll read the Xrays over the weekend and get back to you
thanks kim