Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 29-04-2010, 12:12 PM

Default Hi all

my son is 2 and due to have surgery on the 13th May to have rods inserted for his scoliosis. The dr went into detail on 23rd April of his op and now we r even more confused and scared the b4. When we asked the dr was there any other options he said no if we dont operate he will end up crippled as he has a 2nd curve forming from the 1st one. they are also removing part of his vertebrae as he has extra bits.
Old 29-04-2010, 11:48 PM

Default Re: Hi all

Hi Heidi80, Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about the little one. Hopefully someone (with children) who can help you will chime in. In the meantime if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. There are some knowledgeable people on this forum and with a little bit of everyones personal experience, it may put your mind at ease. One thing i have read about alot is, the way that children bounce back really soon after surgery! Seeya on the forums!
Old 05-05-2010, 11:05 AM

Hi Heidi, How frightening for you having such a little one undergoing this surgery. Unfortunately I don't have any experience in dealing with surgery in such a young child, but as Rodverta said, little ones do bounce back amazingly quickly. I'll be thinking of you on the 13th. Please let us know how it all goes. Best of luck!
Old 07-05-2010, 11:45 AM

Thanks, my little man has a bit of a runny nose so trying to boost him up so he gets over it quickly. b4 his op. the countdown is on now getting more and more nervous but know he is good hands he a op at the same hospital when he was 2 wks old. but know this surgery is alot more major.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:45 PM

Good luck to you both next week, Heidi. I know it's going to be just as hard on you as your little boy, possibly harder. I hope you'll let us know how it goes. I am sure it will be fine!
Old 08-05-2010, 11:35 AM

Hi Heidi,
Will be sending you lots of goods thoughts next week for your sons surgery. It is so hard but know that he is in good hands. Take care of yourself.
Annette
Old 09-05-2010, 12:44 AM

Best wishes for Thursday Heidi. I wish your little boy a speedy and uncomplicated recovery. He should be fine, children recover faster than us adults. Make sure you look after yourself as well.
Old 17-05-2010, 04:22 PM

Hi all sorry havent been back on here Evan had his op on thursday and only ended up having one rod inserted, as when after the dr removed the piece of vertebrae and closed up the gap and put the rod on the right side thats all they ended up needing. he went into surgery about 8am and was out into p.i.c.u by 11:30 took a little longer to wake up then normal they had to turn of his epidural as he wasnt waking up enough he stood up in his cot thursday nite to give mark a cuddle we got him to sleep then went home and came back first thing friday morning. then he was moved to the normal ward, the physio tried to get him to walk but he wasnt really interested his epidural and catherter were removed yesturday and given a dose of endone and has improved heaps from then he kept saying down daddy walk and kept walking up and down the corridoors. Then last nite they removed his iv as it had come out of his vein. and slept in bed with mark last nite so when the dr came round this morning asked how he was going and said he mustnt b doing to bad as he was able to sleep with dad. so they discharged him this morning and is only on panadol and nurofen and only ended up having one dose of endone. I can not believe how quickly he has recovered my very brave and determined little boy is doing awesome. Thanks everyone for the well wishes
Old 17-05-2010, 06:03 PM

Heidi, that is absolutely fantastic news. I'm soo happy things went well for your little boy. I hope you and Mark are doing well too. As they say, kids just bounce back! Hope the recovery is a smooth one, let us know how he gets on.
Best wishes.