Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 09-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Shannan_Breanna Shannan_Breanna is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2
Question Disabled daughter needs surgery......

Hi everyone,

We are looking for advice, good or bad, our daughter has a brain abnormality called Lissencephaly, she is unable to talk, sit, roll, crawl, walk etc. and never will be able to. She also suffers from epilepsy, increased muscle tone, requires suctioning and is fed via a PEG. Despite all her medical issuses she is a beautiful, happy little 7 year old. Our surgeon told us at the start of the year that she is going to need surgery (growing rods) sooner rather than later. We know that if she doesn't get the surgery it will probaly shorten her life expectancy as it will affect her lung function, but our other concern is the amount of pain she will be after the surgery. She also had double hip surgery in 2008 and that was VERY painful. We would like to hear from anyone that has been in a situation similar to ours, as we would like to take on everyones experience before we make this huge decision.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-02-2011, 10:28 PM
tracy tracy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 129
Default Re: Disabled daughter needs surgery......

Hi Shannon,
Welcome!! Our daughter had growing rods put in in October last year, she also has siezures, but they are well controlled by 400 mgs of Ospolot daily. (Allergic to Epillem) Em also had six staples put between her vertibraes for extra strenght! It was a 6 hour Op but they keep pain meds up constantly, for the first week, & we got a script for more if needed when leaving hospital...we didnt need to take them but was a security blanket going to our Motel? What state are you guys in? What degrees is your daughter? We have not looked back since surgery, a huge...but right decision!! The lengthenings are every 6 months. Biggest risk is of infection...but bigger risk is to let it go and affect their lungs?? Em was 59 degrees when we had Surgery.
Try to stay calm as these decisions are in the Surgeons hands...they are Amazing!!!! I would send you a PM if I knew how??
Cheers Tracy
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 01:34 AM.

This forum is a project of

  
Spine Society of Australia

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.