Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adults > Revision Surgery

Old 17-05-2014, 12:06 AM

Thumbs up Re: My rods are broken!!!!

Hi All, hope everyone is well. In the last week I have had three people tell me they were home for a couple of days due to the flu.

I saw my Surgeon (ALIAS - Miracle Worker) yesterday for post op review. He thought I was doing amazingly well (so do I). He had a little bucket for me, which I will post on here in the next couple of days hopefully - I thought it was a bucket of M & Ms for being an extra good patient but then I heard the rattle of hardware. Morbid as it sounds, I was extremely excited to be re-united with my hardware. I thought I would never see it again. You see, I forgot to ask them in theatre before the operation to keep it and then after the op, I think the drugs clouded my mind to even remember about the hardware. When I got home from hospital, I thought about how I would loved to have seen it but forgot about it again as I have a lot going on at the moment.

Jen, I asked about the blood test and Dr informed me that they were looking for an infection of some type. I think he was talking about that deep infection you often hear about on the other forum.

When I post my before and after No.1 and before and after No. 2. I will be able to better explain the procedure he did and why. Its a little hard to explain if you dont have photos to follow. He said I can go back to most things as "you are doing extremely well". I asked him if I could travel and he said yes. He already knew that I had stopped my pain meds in the second week home as I had called his office to see whether I could drive (it was urgent) and I needed to be off the narcs before he would allow it. All in all, fingers crossed, I think I am on the road to a very successful recovery once again.

This time around, Dr asked if I was happy to fill in some forms for him as he is conducting some research. He explained that this would entail me filling out research forms for about a year at intervals during my recovery . I was happy to help.

That is all for now - just need to upload the pics now.
Goodnite.
Old 17-05-2014, 09:38 AM

Default Re: My rods are broken!!!!

Looking forward to the pics!

That's fantastic news, and soooo well deserved. You sound like recovery is going amazingly well. I'm very happy for you Rodverta!
Old 20-05-2014, 10:44 PM

Thanks Jen. I am extremeyl happy with myself as well. Have to admit though, it is easier the second time around - you know what to expect and how to stay on top of things.

Hope you are well,

Regards
RB
Old 28-03-2015, 12:03 AM

Default Re: My rods are broken!!!! 1 Year post op

Hi everyone, I hope everyone is doing amazingly well. I saw my Surgeon last week for my 1 year post -op review. He said I had a marvellous posture and looked like I was so doing so well. I advised him that I was working as a Pathology Collector in the mornings to allow me to move around more on my feet. He felt that was a good move. I still work as a Medical Receptionist in the afternoon but at least I am not tied down to a desk all day. We took a look at the xrays and the level of the fracture is now well healed. He told me that he put a lot of crushed bone in there to make sure that it would heal correctly. I told him that I still get some nigglys on the right hand side of where the fracture was but only if I overdo it. He said that it is probably the muscle in that area and that should be non existent as time moves on. All in all, I am happy with the outcome. I filled out his research forms, we hugged as he wished me well for the future and told me to touch base if I needed to. I left feeling on top of the world!

Hope everyone is recovering nicely! To those awaiting surgery, I hope you are not in any pain. Take care for now. XX
Old 28-03-2015, 01:22 PM

This is fantastic news, it is so wonderful to read of your excellent results.

I have always read your posts as a guide to "the journey of scoliosis surgery". My daughter had lumbar surgery Nov 2011 and further thoracic surgery Dec 2014. We are also from SA and our surgeon is tops.

All the best for your future, Kay
Old 31-03-2015, 07:10 AM

Default Re: My rods are broken!!!! 1 Year post op

HI RB,
Can you please send me a PM about who your surgeon is and what State you are in.
Thanks,Kelly
Old 01-04-2015, 09:46 PM

Thankyou Kay, all the best for your daughter. The young ones always have very good recoveries. Best wishes, RB